Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Not Dead Yet
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am reinstalling my swing arm, after putting in the larger tank and AIM clutch. I am sure all the parts are in place for the swing arm and I torqued the pivot shaft nut down to the required 45-55 ft/pds. But it has some back and forth play - just a bit but it is definitely there - you can even see the arm move against the shaft. Is this normal? If not, what's the cure. (The ''05 has a slightly different set up from the '04)

·
Not Dead Yet
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nic_a_bod said:
Bad bearings maybe, what did those look like?
They seemed to look OK - but I was not concerned since the swing arm felt tight when I took it off.

·
Not Dead Yet
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nic_a_bod said:
Bad bearings maybe, what did those look like?
You got me thinkin' so I went back out and looked again. The play is only on the right side with the pressed in bearing on the swing arm, so I guess that's it and you're right. I'll take the arm into the dealer tomorrow and let them install new stuff. Is that normal for about 32000 miles?

·
Not Dead Yet
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bikerabbi said:
You got me thinkin' so I went back out and looked again. The play is only on the right side with the pressed in bearing on the swing arm,
It's actually a bushing, not bearing.

·
"A" is the only way
3,349 Posts
well, when I pulled mine off on my 02 last fall the bearing fell into my hand it was all rusted up. 12,000 miles on mine.

·
Not Dead Yet
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nic_a_bod said:
well, when I pulled mine off on my 02 last fall the bearing fell into my hand it was all rusted up. 12,000 miles on mine.
OK - thanks for the input.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
They will have a very small amount of movement side to side. However it should not be a great deal.

·
Not Dead Yet
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Max said:
They will have a very small amount of movement side to side. However it should not be a great deal.
Hmmm - well, since it was handling well and was rock solid on curves, and the shaft was not rusty or dirty upon removal, I'll leave it for now. If it turns out it needs removal, at least I now know (thanks to this Forum!) how to remove the arm and get it fixed.
Thanks, so much. Hopefully tonight the bike will be up and running! :moped:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had the same thing on my VRSCD a few months back.
My dealer replaced the right side bushing, (and while they were at it, I had them replace my tank with a Rick´s).
Replacing the bushing didn´t change anything though; the play was just the same as before, so I go with Max, a little play is probably normal.
Seems to me that the engine/exhaust/swingarm is all bolted together, and then the whole keboodle is rubber-mounted in the frame. There´s bound to be a little play in there somewhere...
Honda made the VTR1000F Firestorm that way too (FWIW)

cheers!

·
Not Dead Yet
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SirFrancisDrake said:
I had the same thing on my VRSCD a few months back.
My dealer replaced the right side bushing, (and while they were at it, I had them replace my tank with a Rick´s).
Replacing the bushing didn´t change anything though; the play was just the same as before, so I go with Max, a little play is probably normal.
Seems to me that the engine/exhaust/swingarm is all bolted together, and then the whole keboodle is rubber-mounted in the frame. There´s bound to be a little play in there somewhere...
Honda made the VTR1000F Firestorm that way too (FWIW)

cheers!
I've put a couple hundred miles on it since I got it back together. It rides straight and true as before, without a change to the bushing. With all that experience, (i.e. changing rear tire, swing arm, tank, and clutch -) I'm ready to go for the big project: tonight I hope to replace the bushings on the kick stand! :D
[Thanks for the video, Max. :plause: ]

·
Registered
50 Posts
I changed both tires on my Street Rod and found lots of corrosion on the rear axle shaft. I also noticed some lateral play in the swingarm.
Removed the swingarm shaft and found lots of corrosion too. Cleaned all up but was worried by the lateral play.

After looking at the shaft and swingarm I have come to the conclusion that there is only one bearing on the left side holding the swingarm axially in place. That is a spherical bearing, which must have some play in order to work properly or it will seize. The bushing on the right only guides and supports the shaft.

Took me some time to remove the spherical bearing from the swingarm, my 5 Ton (metric) press could not do the job until I heated up the swingarm around the bearing.
The outer bearing case had rusted and bonded with the aluminum swingarm.
I found a new one, not at HD since they didn't have it in stock and their price was 3 times what I paid for a spherical bearing, better than the original, with grease holes in it and rubber lips to prevent dirt to enter and grease to get out.

Finally installed the new bearing, greased it, and greased the shaft with white lithium grease.
There is still some play, but much less than before, the old bearing was worn and sooner or later would have needed replacement.

One thing I did was grease all the other shafts well and from now on I will not pressure wash my bike again.
Only pushes water where it shouldn't.

·
Not Dead Yet
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, talk about raising a dead thread! Good point about the pressure washing. (I guess I better stop doing that!). Also, thanks for the tip on buying the bearing. I use graphite lube wear ever I can. It's a bit more messy to apply, but it lasts - especially on those axles.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Pre-2005 V-Rods had a swingarm bearing at each side. In 2005 the bushing in the engine case for the swingarm shaft was deleted, the shaft changed and HD went to a big deep grooved ball bearing on the left and a bushing of some sort on the right.

When the bushing goes you can sometimes notice some additional vibration in the right foot peg if you have mid controls.

·
Not Dead Yet
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
Pre-2005 V-Rods had a swingarm bearing at each side. In 2005 the bushing in the engine case for the swingarm shaft was deleted, the shaft changed and HD went to a big deep grooved ball bearing on the left and a bushing of some sort on the right. ...
Not sure where you heard that info.

All VRSC swingarms from 2002 to present use the same right side plain bearing (P/N 48389-01).

The engine/trans case bushings (P/N 25735-01K) were deleted around 2005 (but the 2005 parts catalog still shows them). However, the bore size in the case is the same as the bushing bore in the earlier models.

On the early VRSC bikes (2002 to 2004, however; I've heard that some 2004s had the newer setup) the left side swingarm bearing consisted of two roller bearings side-by-side. Around 2005 this left side bearing pair was changed to a single spherical bearing.

The other changes in the swingarm pivot about this time was the pivot shaft and spacers. This required a change to the rear engine mounts. The following drawing I made and posted several years ago shows the differences. My drawing shows the engine-trans case bushings on both setups because I based my drawing on the published drawings from HD that still show these bushings in the 2005 parts catalog.

·
Banned
4,421 Posts
Oldy but a GOODY...I HAD MY SWINGARM bearing/shaft assembly replaced twice on my 08DXA.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts