Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Dave
489 Posts
Do you guys think it is possible to remove light scratches from chrome? I have a couple of light scratches that are bothering me. I know that chrome is very thin. There are kits on the market that you can use to do this sword of chrome polishing. Just want to know if anybody has tried to do this using kits like this one:

Plastic Polishing Kit

Attachments

· Registered
1,017 Posts
I have had good success in removing fine surface scratches with 1500 or 2000 wet/dry sandpaper (used VERY carefully). Other guys say that they have used the super fine steel wool (used for polishing floors).

· CHROMENATION
376 Posts
I Have Used Many Different Types , Jewelers Rouge , Metal Magic Etc..., And Scratch Doctor , Its Good For All Surfaces - Very Mild. Its O.k. For Very Minor Marks , Anything Else Kinda/sorta Hides Scratches A Little . Nothing Other Than Re-chroming Fixes It Right.

· Been there done that
1,527 Posts
care of chrome

I ruined some chrome plated plastic items by using chrome polish. WTF its polish WRONG it is abrasive and the only safe thing is car wax only, never use a cleaner on chrome. That is what I was told by the chrome platers. IMOP

· Dave
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ruined some chrome plated plastic items by using chrome polish. WTF its polish WRONG it is abrasive and the only safe thing is car wax only, never use a cleaner on chrome. That is what I was told by the chrome platers. IMOP
Really, did you use any tools or did you use your hands only?

· MODOHOLIC ANONYMOUS
7,448 Posts
it depends on how thick the chrome is and how deep the scratches are... bought a set of slightly damaged chrome brake/clutch cylinders on ebay being aluminum underneath i was able to use a light file to smooth the deep stuff and then used a yellow (tight knit) wheel with white jewelers rouge to remove the light scratches as well as polish the bare aluminum (these were really damaged on one corner) to bring the whole thing to a scratch free mirror shine... go light, and you might save yourself some major cash... just don't get into the copper

· Silver Bullet
540 Posts
I once tried a chrome scratch remover and all it did was scuff the chrome. You can try a chrome polish and it might fill in the scratches enough not to make them noticable. But bottom line you can not remove scratches. I had a mechanic replace chrome fork guards on my Road King and he scratched them. They replaced with new because the knew you can not get those scrathes out. If they could have they would have saved the dollars to replace and just polished.

· MODOHOLIC ANONYMOUS
7,448 Posts
i disagree... it is just like paint... if the scratch isn't too deep then it can be taken out...

· Registered
1,017 Posts
I Really Dont Give A F*ck Who Believes Me......

i disagree... it is just like paint... if the scratch isn't too deep then it can be taken out...
I agree with Jedi. Like I was saying it has worked for me. I didn't believe that it would work when I first heard about it, but it does work provided that it is just a light surface scratch......and NO, it wasn't dead bugs or dirt--I tasted it to make sure!

· Silver Bullet
540 Posts
You will always get an opinion on the Forum, some helpful and some not. I have pasted what WIKI answers says about removing minor scratches in chrome. "Believe it or not, use simple old toothpaste! NOT A GEL TOOTHPASTE, but the best is Baking Soda toothpaste "Arm & Hammer" if you can get it. Use a very soft close and dip it in the toothpaste and go in circular motions and then wipe clean with a soft dry cloth. You won't get it all out, but, it will take the worse away." Probably will not look like new but will be imporved.

· The Young One...
2,585 Posts
"Her favorite color is chrome."

· Dave
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You will always get an opinion on the Forum, some helpful and some not. I have pasted what WIKI answers says about removing minor scratches in chrome. "Believe it or not, use simple old toothpaste! NOT A GEL TOOTHPASTE, but the best is Baking Soda toothpaste "Arm & Hammer" if you can get it. Use a very soft close and dip it in the toothpaste and go in circular motions and then wipe clean with a soft dry cloth. You won't get it all out, but, it will take the worse away." Probably will not look like new but will be imporved.
That is interesting, have you tried this yourself?

· Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
toothpaste is like using semi-chrome.... not good for brand new chrome but will polish up used chrome.

using 00000 fine steel wool with the semi-chrome (toothpaste) will do the best job . IMHO...

for new chrome use neverdull because it has NO abrasive material and will not leave behind swirls like the semi-chrome (toothpaste) does to new chrome...

A scratch in chrome that is only on the surface can be buffed/polished out. on a scratch that goes through the chrome you will need to polish the metal under the chrome in the scratch to hide it...just my 2 cents worth

· Still here, sort of
17,375 Posts
What about the thought that polishing out any scratch on chrome will thin the plate and leave an even larger area susceptible to pitting and further deterioration?

· Posting From The Pub
7,851 Posts
I am surprised at some of the answers here. I find a good polish with AutoSol Solvol removes light scratches on chrome with no problem. Like T Cut on paint, you can potentially damage the chrome with too much enthusiasm, but normally it seems fine.

I would not use a power tool.

· EXCELSIOR
8,629 Posts
Platers polish after chroming.
Chrome has build thickness as opposed to anodize and if not scratched through to the base substrate can be polished.
You be removing plating thickness ass you go so over indulgence could see you wear through. And as others have mentioned the reduced thickness makes the substrate more suseptible to pitting and or rust.
It is however theoretically possible.
How much work you want to put into it is another matter.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.