Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Dare to Dream
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to adjust the front end under the fork top caps or no. Also can I change the fork fluid by draining it out the bottom and refilling it the same place or no? Front end seems real light springed, like they need made tighter. Im usually very mechanical, but never had forks apart, and these are different from other bikes I have owned, other had adjustments on top for preload and damping. Mine is an 04 B.

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
Is it possible to adjust the front end under the fork top caps or no. Also can I change the fork fluid by draining it out the bottom and refilling it the same place or no? Front end seems real light springed, like they need made tighter. Im usually very mechanical, but never had forks apart, and these are different from other bikes I have owned, other had adjustments on top for preload and damping. Mine is an 04 B.
There are no adjustments to be made. I've heard several people say that going to SE fork oil helps. I just ordered a set of Intiminator's for mine, a few fellows here swear by them, if you go that rout use the code "hdforums" at checkout and you'll save $96. You can also use progressive springs, those seem to be popular as well.

And yes, you can change the oil without pulling the forks, you have to remove the front wheel, and take out the screw in the bottom of the fork. The caps come off with a wrench, but be careful, there is a fair bit of pressure on them from the springs. Obviously, you need to have the front wheel off the ground before you pull those caps.

Edit: Thread about intiminator's here.
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137200

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I also have the Ricor Intiminators and never felt better. I just picked my V from Ricor and now have the first set of their new rear shocks.

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
SE fork oil makes a big difference with the stock springs and will eliminate almost all of the front end dive when braking. Like Al, I went with 1" progressive lowering springs and SE oil but for me the ride is just a tad too stiff with the much better progressives. I have been mulling around changing out the fork oil for standard oil on that setup - but frankly I'm too much of a slacker so I haven't gotton around to it.

Put the SE oil in the stock setup and you won't be unhappy.

·
(Peter)
489 Posts
SE fork oil makes a big difference with the stock springs and will eliminate almost all of the front end dive when braking. Like Al, I went with 1" progressive lowering springs and SE oil but for me the ride is just a tad too stiff with the much better progressives. I have been mulling around changing out the fork oil for standard oil on that setup - but frankly I'm too much of a slacker so I haven't gotton around to it.

Put the SE oil in the stock setup and you won't be unhappy.

I like the way you think. I have chrome fork sliders waiting to go on for two years now. Maybe soon....?

·
Registered
336 Posts
I rode Hal64hd's bike up in Vegas and made me realize how bad my 04B dove when applying the brakes. I did have heavier oil put in mine which helped quite a bit..... but his is still much better. While I didn't ride it far, it didn't seem harsh or stiff by any means.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
If i drain the oil and change to SE oil in my forks-what is the correct amount of oil to fill?
The oil is not measured by volume, but by distance from the top of the fork tubes.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
They changed springs and spacers in 2007. I suggest you buy some that someone has taken out (to put a lowering kit or something). The post 07 setup is sensible, but crude. I'll be getting some Ricors for that reason.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
it can be done on the bike but it easier to me to just pull the forks to change the oil..with the stock springs if the bikes is sagging into the travel too much with the rider weight on board increase the preload with a longer spacer .. if the problem is it bottoming out the heavier se fluid will probably be good enough set at the stock level specification.. if you raise the fork oil level slightly it decreases the amount of dive but can lead to a harsh feeling fork if you add too much ..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.