Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For about the past 2 months, ive been noticing my gas gauge falling quicker and quicker. Its to the point not where im getting 55 to 60 miles to a tank(according to the gauge), however there appears to be more gas in the tank. For example today I filled up when the gauge was reading LOW, and it only took 1.445 gallons. Im afraid to drive when it always reads empty, fearing to run out on the highway somewhere. Anyonw have any ideas I would appreciate them....thanks again.

·
Registered
380 Posts
My gas gauge says empty after about 40 miles, but I always get 40 mpg so I just go until I have about 100 miles on the odometer and I always put in 2.5 gal. I would just ignore the gauge.

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
I've seen the gauge drop when I've topped off the tank... if I fill to the first click and stop, the gauge has never done that.

More generally, the gauge has never been highly scientific. :) Trust your miles, and fill up about every 100 miles or so (with a stock sized tank).

If you want to cure the stock tank syndrome, see my sig below.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had this problem with mine right after I bought it. The fuel sending unit was replaced and the problem went away. This is a common problem from what I understand.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess ill just be riding till about every 100 miles or so......thanks guys

·
Registered
322 Posts
Same here. My '07 will "drain" quickly to "low" after about 20mins of riding on a warm day; weather I start w/ a full tank or 1/2 tank. I know there's still plenty of fuel, but the guage/sender is incorrect; I have yet to take the bike in. Sidenote: If I stop and swith the iginition switch off and then on again, the guage reads correctly but the issue returns shortly thereafter.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thats the exact same things im going through, i just dont feel like taking it to the stealer and having to wait for my bike all week

·
Rollin' Hills
769 Posts
Get max's "Tank Tool", pull the unit out---clean the sending strip with 600 wet-or-dry paper and WD-40. Be careful not to destroy the strip. Should last about 10-12K. A true pain :banghead: , but thatts life in the "Fast Lane". Thanks to "rjivero "for the info.:notworth:

·
Registered
322 Posts
There is no strip in the 5gal HD tanks, correct? I thought they used a sonar signal to read the fuel level......:confused:

·
Fear The Reaper
1,152 Posts
Dirty Chris said:
There is no strip in the 5gal HD tanks, correct? I thought they used a sonar signal to read the fuel level......:confused:
You are correct. This was supposed to fix this wonderful problem they have with the fuel gauges, but they still can't get it right. Just start looking for a gas station at around 140 to 150 miles on your trip odometer. After 150 I have between a 1\2 gallon the 1 gallon left.

·
Registered
553 Posts
The gas gauge is a running MOCO/Dephi joke for V-Rodders...
The first couple weeks I trusted that gauge too, but in time I came to realize that it's clearly useful, but not in the same way as a "real gas gauge" is, more like this...

Fill up and top off, the needle is showing full...
Start the bike, set the odometer, pull out and the needle slightly drops...
The needle quickly moves down to 1/4 and gas light comes on (60 miles?)
Let the needle keep right on sinking to totally empty and cherry red, and then it's time to start thinking about gas again (100 miles or so)... If you fill up each time the low gas light comes on you'll only be riding from one gas station to another, and always be afraid of running out of gas... Trust the inaccuracy of the gauge, and smile...

I admit that I get horrible gas milage, loving to stay in the upper rpms and lower gears... I finally just decided that to use the gas gauge is to rethink what you are seeing, and augmenting by using the odometer for a reality check... I must admit that I find this fact ironic is Harley's bid for the future... It's odd to see such a fundemental quirk in such a fine machine...

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
mine has had one or two quirks on my 2000 mile bike but it did it on the first 4 tanks and hasnt done it since... from all I have read with this being an issue I would either take it to HD and have the sending unit/float replaced or I would just ignore the gauge and ride by your odometer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts