Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a new, full face helmet (most likely an Arai Corsair-X). Although I fully intend to buy a helmet with the DOT & Snell certification, some of the helmets I like (the artwork) have the ECE22.05 & Snell certification, not DOT. After doing some research many people consider the ECE rating to be more rigorous than DOT (but that depends on who you talk to).

My concern is getting pulled over by the police and getting a ticket for not having a DOT approved helmet. Although the ECE is just as safe as DOT, does anyone know if we can legally wear an ECE certified helmet in the US? In other words,
can we get fined by police for not wearing a DOT approved helmet?

I live in New Jersey. The NJ state law specifically focused on motorcycle helmets is:

39:3-76.7 Protective Helmets
6. a. No person shall operate or ride upon a motorcycle unless he wears a securely fitted protective helmet of a size proper for that person and of a type approved by the director. Such a helmet must be equipped with either a neck or chin strap and be reflectorized on both sides thereof. The director is authorized and empowered to adopt rules and regulations covering the types of helmets and the specifications therefor and to establish and maintain a list of approved helmets which meet the specifications as established hereunder. For the purposes of this section, motorcycle shall not include any three-wheeled motor vehicle equipped with a single cab with glazing enclosing the occupant, seats similar to those of a passenger vehicle or truck, seat belts and automotive steering.

b. The director shall not assess motor vehicle points for the failure of a motorcycle operator or rider to wear a protective helmet.

The "director", I am assuming, is law enforcement. I have not been able to find any specific list of "approved helmets which meet the specifications..." anywhere on the web site. Without any additional information, will any certified helmet suffice? Or does this language imply wearing a DOT certified helmet? The fine for not wearing a helmet is $54. I could not find any fine specifically regarding certification violation. My guess is that if I were to be fined for wearing a non-DOT helmet, the fine would be the same as not wearing one ($54).

I know helmet laws vary by state. Based on the above what is your opinion? Your feedback is greatly appreciated Thanks.

FYI...Other NJ laws relating to motorcycle helmets
39:3-76.8 Goggles or face shield to be worn by motorcycle operator
39:3-76.9 Wind screen; goggles or face shield not necessary

·
"Vrod King"
910 Posts
I have never heard of anyone ever being ticketed because of the rating on their helmet. If you're in a state that requires a helmet, the police will be after you if you do not have one on.
I wear a Simpson RX helmet which is a SA rated helmet and doesn't have a DOT sticker in it. Never been pulled over because of it. Of course we don't have a helmet law here. You do need eye protection.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have never heard of anyone ever being ticketed because of the rating on their helmet. If you're in a state that requires a helmet, the police will be after you if you do not have one on.
I wear a Simpson RX helmet which is a SA rated helmet and doesn't have a DOT sticker in it. Never been pulled over because of it. Of course we don't have a helmet law here. You do need eye protection.

Thanks for your feedback. I have never heard of anyone getting ticketed due to the lack of a DOT sticker either. Do you know what's funny? I had no idea what an SA rating was until you mentioned it. Your helmet is Snell certified and designed for race car drivers, are stronger than motorcycle helmets, and are also fire resistant. Sound like a good choice. :)

Regarding eye protection, I plan on buying a full-face helmet and would wear one even if my state did not have a helmet law.

I have been very impressed with the members of this forum and their detailed knowledge regarding their knowledge about anything motorcycle-related. If there's a problem with riding with helmets that have different certifications I am sure someone will share their knowledge.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts