Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to purchase a 2002 and wonder if it's a year that I should stay away from. I've read about tranny problems with 2002 -2004. Anyone have percentages on problem model years for the V-Rod ?

·
Registered
559 Posts
I'm not sure about the percentages on year. I do however have an 03 and hasn't had one thing wring with it. You can have lemons in new one just the same as old ones. Obviously with technology increasing the newer bikes have come a long way from where mine is. I love my vrod, and will buy another one someday.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
501 Posts
I had a 03, have an 02 and dad has a 03. Valentino Rossi himself will tell you we ride all our bikes hard. Never had any problems!!!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
redneckgearhead
267 Posts
If it's a vrod it is the right choice! I have an 02 and have had it since 06, Biggest problem I have had is the coolant reservoir had to be replaced right after I got it. I have not heard of these bikes having tranny trouble. Get it you wont be disappointed.

·
Non-stop-rider
889 Posts
Welcome! I have an '02 and put about 27,000 miles on it. Not a single problem besides the resevoir issues mentioned above. It was a minor yet common issue where the cap would crack and leak coolant.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I had an 03 great bike with 27000 miles on it . The only problem i had was some cager crashed into me and totaled it. I now have an 02 with 20000 miles on it no problems other than a tunner problem . Another great bike. You cant go wrong with a vrod period

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks

Thanks for all the replies. I've made an offer on a 2006 Street Rod (I'm coming off a Triumph Speed Triple - I'm 58). After riding most of the metric cruisers out there, I'm fairly well sold on the V-Rod (I just want to get the right one). Looks like this forum will be a great asset to ownership :).

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
Welcome! You will enjoy the VROD.

·
Asatruar
2,927 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Street Rod test ride

I rode a 2006 Street Rod today. Very dissappointed. Seems Harley took a cruiser and tried to make a sport bike. Throttle response was poor, rider position was terrible (couldn't see the guages, rear brake pedal and shift lever was too high) and it seemed too heavy in the twisties. I have ridden 3 VRSCA models (different years) and all were very enjoyable cruisers. The VRSCR was a let down. My 1999 Triumph Speed Triple is better in every way - even riding position. I'm going to stick with the VRSCA/D/W for cruising.

·
Asatruar
2,927 Posts
I rode a 2006 Street Rod today. Very dissappointed. Seems Harley took a cruiser and tried to make a sport bike. Throttle response was poor, rider position was terrible (couldn't see the guages, rear brake pedal and shift lever was too high) and it seemed too heavy in the twisties. I have ridden 3 VRSCA models (different years) and all were very enjoyable cruisers. The VRSCR was a let down. My 1999 Triumph Speed Triple is better in every way - even riding position. I'm going to stick with the VRSCA/D/W for cruising.
I agree that the Street Rod is not the bike that your Speed Triple is,but it's still better in the curves than the rest of the line. H-D didn't bill it as a sportbike, they classed it as a "roadster".

But if you're wanting a "cruiser" then yes,choose something else.
I'll keep riding an "honest " motorcycle.(No offense intended.)

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^ Point taken

Point made and well taken. I drove 200 miles to ride the VRSCR and was hoping to make it mine. I only compared it to my Triumph because the riding position was so similiar but the ergos were still not very accomodating, even for a roadster - IMO.

·
Asatruar
2,927 Posts
I'll even concede that the ergonomics need small changes for some people. I've done as much by changing to a Corbin Hollywood Solo seat & pillion. Others have changed the handlebars to better suit their needs.

Seat & handlebars are common modifications on all V Rod models.
Along with exhausts. (it's a slippery slope once started.)

·
Registered
501 Posts
As gross as I think the R is if think the handling and everything else is bad than I'd do what someone else said and keep your speed triple or look at a diff style bike.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^

Made offer on a 2007 VRSCAW. I can't find a better running or handling cruiser out there. The Kaw Mean Streak 1600 was close, but I would have always wanted a V-Rod. I hope he takes my offer!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts