Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Avenger Hawk
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was slowing to make a right hand turn and there was a pedestian on the side walk and just as she cleared the way I began my right turn and a cage passed me on the right side clipping right foot peg, locking the rear brake, right handlebar grip, right mirror, right turn signal (located on lower tripple tree), and lower right front slider. The frame is cracked where it and the right foot peg meet. :barf:

I'm ok, at least I think so. But my ride will be out for some time. Reality it's just a machine and can be fixed or replaced. :banghead: Off to the insurance company tomorrow.

Two witnesses. One saw everything, the other heard the accident then chased the driver to get their license number. When the police ran the plates, of course they were expired also indicating they probably don't have insurance.

Well I'm new to this accident business, any advise out there would greatly be appreciated.

To all, be carefull out there.

·
Ironbutt
886 Posts
Dereck, sorry to here that, It is good to hear that you are doing good! THe bike can be fixed. Hopefully the driver has insurance and/or will go to jail. Good luck andkeep us in the loop

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Dereck I don't have any advice but glad to hear your alright. The bike can be fixed.

Max

·
Registered
148 Posts
Stay close with your insurance company through it all. Make sure you let them know that you want to be involved as much as possible. If you don't like the estimate request a second one, ie. a dealer that you have a good relationship with.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Derek, you will be good to go in no time, less than a week even with parts being ordered. That frame rail is so common to be replaced we keep 3 of each side in stock at all times. It broke, thats what it is there for, to absorb the impact and leave the frame intact. I bet you are only looking at about $700 worth of parts and maybe 7-8 hours of work. Best of luck man!

BART

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Derek, Glad to hear you are OK. As for advice, if you feel you suffered any bodily injury, seek an attorney..... the insurance companies will settle for whatever is best for them not the injured party.

·
Todd
482 Posts
Derek, glad to hear you are ok. Hope the police get this issue resolve. I hate people like that out on the street.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Dereck,
Glad to hear your not too banged up. Hope you and the bike get well soon, and watch out for them cagers
Kev

·
Registered
305 Posts
Dereck,
Glad to hear you're OK. The circumstances are very similiar to my accident last fall (see thread... somewhere). Anyway, the damage you sustained is also very similiar to mine. The frame bent/cracked in the same place. One of the great design features of this bike is that frame. Out with the old and in with a new piece! Since there was no contact on my hit and run I was basically out of luck even though I got the plate. The b%#&h claimed she never saw me or that there was an accident. The insurance companies are battling it out but I won't see a dime I'm sure. $2500 damage... the good news is the bike got back up and running like new within 60 days. Best of Luck. Ride Safe! And remember... "beat a cager today!" :bash:
Dan

·
Registered
82 Posts
We all hate it when these things happen but the reality is we ride, and some times things happen. dereck- I'm not sure if you are asking for mechanical info or just general input. So no advice here (especially on mechanical), just sharing some experience. First, learn all you can about accident scene management. You may save a life one day, maybe your own. Secure the rider then secure the scene. NEVER take a helmet off a downed rider. If the downed motorcycle is in the road leave it until the PD has seen/documented (measurements!) the location. The evidence will play a major role in whose pocket the medical and repair bills come out of, even (or especially) on a hit and run. Take pictures of the accident scene from every angle, make sure the photos include elements like skid marks, painted lines, glass or debry from the cage and sight lines through the intersection. It can be tough to have a camera with you on the rod but I have one on my dresser most of the time. It's even tougher to take photo's if you rthe one laying in the raod waiting on the EMT's. But, everyone on a motor should ride with basic asm skills so we can support each other. I do not ride with out a cell phone. Keep all of your medical information easily available to emergency personel in the event your are unconcious, the Red Cross has a great card for this. Well, whoops I guess I am giving advice but I do not want to sound like I am preaching. I have experienced my share of accident scenes and there is a right way and a very wrong (and costly) way. I am glad to hear your OK. It sounds like you took a ride so I would not be surprised that some soreness creaps up today or tomorrow. BTW, just curious, have you thought about changing your handle to de-ride instead of de-reck!!!??? Good luck with your bike and ride safe, brother.

·
backcracker
735 Posts
Dereck, glad to hear you are fairing better than the Rod. That bike can be replaced, you can't. Sounds like you got lucky that the car didn't take your hand and foot with it. Insurance companies are a treat to work with. Keep on them. Good luck.
Dan

·
Avenger Hawk
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bagman said:
have you thought about changing your handle to de-ride instead of de-reck!!!???
:laugh:

Thanks for everyone's support. We definitely have to help each other out. There were several other vehicles in the area, but the guy who chased them down to get their license plate number was a fellow rider.
:thumb:

·
Registered
474 Posts
dereck said:
To all, be carefull out there.
Thank God for you and your family that you are ok. Hug those kids.

Thanks for relating the account. I'd love to see a safety section in this forum. I've often thought that I'm leaving an open invitation to cars to pass me on the right if I approach my right turns wide. Your experience will make me think twice.
Sorry about the bike.
Take care, Dave

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Zeeman - You are a police officer, no? And still she gets away with it! Doesn't leave us "citizens' feeling very safe. And dereck - glad you weren't hurt. Remember everyone - they WANT to kill you.

·
Avenger Hawk
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got my ride back today, 3 weeks after the incident.

Thanks to Surdyke HD with their great prices and shippment.
Thanks to Topeka HD with the best service department in the area.
Thanks to my insurance company and their quick response.
Thanks to everyone here and their moral support.

Final extimate from dealer $1831. Actual cost $613. It's not 100%, left a few character marks. I'll finish it up if my cost are ever recovered. Not holding my breath.

Still waiting on the official police report. Seemed cut and dry to me: I was hit from behind; there was a positive Id; I have 2 witnesses; and he left the scene and did not return. Since I wasn't hurt, I guess it's not a priority.

To all be carefull out there.

·
Yeah, but what if...
4,714 Posts
Glad to see it is resolved and you're OK

1 - 18 of 18 Posts