Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm refining my tools and need a measurement. The fork caps have jam nut or retainer nut as it's called to lock the rod to the cap . I know the left one needs a thin 17mm wrench. I remember the other as needing a smaller wrech but can't remember. 13-14mm comes to mind but not sure. I want to bolt the two together to make one tool basically. Anyone have the wrench size for that right retainer nut?
Ron

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
Holy Crap Ron that was like 256 Trick Fuc*s ago ! :LOL: Yea, as I remember its smaller than left fork - I wanna say 15 MM - but it can't be much smaller than the left realistically due to the diameter of the damper rods - all I can say is my wrenches handled it - The lock nut part # is 7468M which looks to be the same lock nut for both fork legs - so if you used a thin 17 MM on the left it might be correct for the right as well ! Sorry I can't help any more than that - too many jet airplane breakdowns and repairs between my last R upside down fork service and now - my plane Mx memories supersede my M/C Mx memories :oops: ;) Do you have upside down forks ? Over -

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Holy Crap Ron that was like 256 Trick Fuc*s ago ! :LOL: Yea, as I remember its smaller than left fork - I wanna say 15 MM - but it can't be much smaller than the left realistically due to the diameter of the damper rods - all I can say is my wrenches handled it - The lock nut part # is 7468M which looks to be the same lock nut for both fork legs - so if you used a thin 17 MM on the left it might be correct for the right as well ! Sorry I can't help any more than that - too many jet airplane breakdowns and repairs between my last R upside down fork service and now - my plane Mx memories supersede my M/C Mx memories :oops: ;) Do you have upside down forks ? Over -
Yes inverted. The nut sizes are different. 7468M and 8199M. The 17mm is ground thinner for the task, so it stays in the dedicated tool section of my basement. The right side, my metrics wrenches are in the shop. 3 times I've gone back and forth grabbing the wrong one, each time too small and then too big. That would be 13 and 15mm so I suspect it was 14mm, so this time I want to prepare buy bolting the correct wrench to the 17mm so it stays with the rest of the tools. I know, it's winter and I'm bored at the moment. Not doing the valve adjustment and mounts until new years is over. Until then, I'm amusing myself with dumb shit like this.
Ron

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
It's strange I kinda remember 2 different sizes as well but my parts book shows both same P/N 7468M although the left leg nut looks smaller in the parts book :rolleyes: - get a 14MM and a 15MM and tape them together or I.D them - I put I.D. tags on tools that are unique or I've modified for a special use to remind me of it's intended usage in the future saves time all I know is I had the correct wrench in my toolbox to fit it did the fork oil Mx and moved on so it must be a fairly common size - I've never liked the compression in one leg and rebound in the other - both forks should be doing identical actions at the same time IMHO going back to basics remembering some of the magical upside down off road forks I've raced - no air forks, no split duties, just two legs doing the same thing, tuned to perfection. KISS principal - (y):D

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's strange I kinda remember 2 different sizes as well but my parts book shows both same P/N 7468M although the left leg nut looks smaller in the parts book :rolleyes: - get a 14MM and a 15MM and tape them together or I.D them - I put I.D. tags on tools that are unique or I've modified for a special use to remind me of it's intended usage in the future saves time all I know is I had the correct wrench in my toolbox to fit it did the fork oil Mx and moved on so it must be a fairly common size - I've never liked the compression in one leg and rebound in the other - both forks should be doing identical actions at the same time IMHO going back to basics remembering some of the magical upside down off road forks I've raced - no air forks, no split duties, just two legs doing the same thing, tuned to perfection. KISS principal - (y):D
One of the reason Traxxion cartridges is so appealing but the cost is prohibitive at least for me. That and I'm not sending my forks anywhere risking damage or loss, not to mention insane shipping costs. I do have the tools for axle block removals for this conversion but not sure they will sell the components separately. Both forks doing the same thing and more tunable makes for a much better suspension.. They have/had low profile fork caps for tuning the rebounds as well.
Ron

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
Damn it Ron you're gonna cost me $ 1250+ ! :D I Researched the Traxxion Cartridge Kit and yes, without a doubt the way to go better than the Race Tech Gold Valves as well - I've bought the steering neck bearings and seals and new handlebars so when I pull it all down for that I'm sending the forks in for seals, bushings & cartridge kits - we only live once & I've always wanted to upgrade the forks on this StreetRod - it deserves it ! Got away with a few years with the 5 Wt. oil change I did, but without a doubt the cartridges are state of the art - yes they sell a do it yourself kit also so your'e not bored up there this winter - I'm sure you could do it with the tools you have & avoid the shipping - for me it's not far next state over so I'm shipping - or dropping off. Thanks for the help draining my M/C mad money ! (y):cool:

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Damn it Ron you're gonna cost me $ 1250+ ! :D I Researched the Traxxion Cartridge Kit and yes, without a doubt the way to go better than the Race Tech Gold Valves as well - I've bought the steering neck bearings and seals and new handlebars so when I pull it all down for that I'm sending the forks in for seals, bushings & cartridge kits - we only live once & I've always wanted to upgrade the forks on this StreetRod - it deserves it ! Got away with a few years with the 5 Wt. oil change I did, but without a doubt the cartridges are state of the art - yes they sell a do it yourself kit also so your'e not bored up there this winter - I'm sure you could do it with the tools you have & avoid the shipping - for me it's not far next state over so I'm shipping - or dropping off. Thanks for the help draining my M/C mad money ! (y):cool:
Glad I can thin your saving down a bit. 😁 I'm aware they sold cartridges for other brands and for the standard forks but very few can incorporate the inverted cartridges ,due to the need for the disc attachment required between the end of the fork tube and axle block. I tested my tools and removed one on a scrap tube I had. Easy enough to do. To my knowledge, inverted need to be sent in for the work because of that fact as most never dive into them to that extent. This is why when you purchase a new fork tube, the axle block is already attached. Yes for you, it's next door and the same town name, Woodstock as me in Ontario. Shipping should be reasonable. For me, the 1250 USD converted to CAD is still not reasonable for me to do it.
Ron

1 - 7 of 7 Posts