Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fella
anybody has changed the oil on later models with an inverted fork without changing the seal.

I want to change the fork oil on my 2014 V rod Muscle to heavy type one without exposing the seal or changing them just like on any fork. Anyone of you folks can confirm that.

·
Premium Member
1,548 Posts
Very doable - just jack the bike up, remove both fork caps & springs, remove the forks from the bike, up end & dump the oil, measure it just to see what was left, pump the forks in & out & drain it overnight, measure & install new oil, re-install the forks in the triple tree per manual procedure, re-install springs & caps ( call a big friend to help compress the springs and install the caps with a speed handle & socket ) and re-install nose wheel, bleed brakes if lines were disturbed, and take bike off jack. It's a real giant PIA if you're not a mechanic. and pretty much a regular PIA if you are. Not fun like the old days with drain screws at the bottom of the conventional fork legs, pump the forks up & down with the front brake on till empty & refill. :sneaky:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet your response is much encouraging to do the task but mine is 2014 with different left and right side fork don't I need the special tool REMOVER/INSTALLER (Part No. HD-47852) Bolt, inner fork - right side only to dump the oil if not I am doing it and will post you guys with pics so all could use it for a future project.
and just for the record, I find the v-rod to be the easiest machine that I worked with but feels they intended to make the job more complicated so the could make money off of you when you bring it to them, just too many special sets of tools that don't mix up on any other moto.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts