Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I was a sports bike person, however; got married and now need something comforting :). I hope I will be welcomed here :). I am looking into buying a VROD. I have a few questions.
1. What to look for when buying a VROD (I am going to get a used one).
2. What are the major advancements b/w 2002 (when they started making them) and lets say 2008. Actually, I am getting a 2002 with only 1500 miles on it... I am just concerned if the technology is too old, and new ones are way better.
I will really appreciate any help.
Thanks.

·
VROD JUNKIE
1,390 Posts
Welcome.

The newer models came with Brembo Brakes was probably the most notable change that would would really like.

Search on Wikipedia for VRod and have a read , that should answer any questions you have.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2003 that I love, never had any problems with it. Always when buying a new or used bike look for things like rust, pits, cracks in paint or chrome (which will tell you how it was treated. Most people will tell you that it was garaged kept, oil changed, etc; but you can't go by that! If it looks clean, it probable is, if the price is reasonable then buy it. Check on Ebay for going rates, check your local creaigs list, and ask around your local dealers. Before you ride too far, change the oil. Even if they said it was done yesterday, old oil is the killer. With that said, you will love the V-Rod.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I've had two '02's and the only issue I had was with the second one. It was no big deal, just a dirty fuel level strip that made the gas gauge act goofy. The total repair for that set me back ~$50.

If you're planning on a two-up ride you can do much better than the VRSCA. I have a friend whose divorce flames were fueled by the passenger accommodations and her husband's unwillingness to make a bike change. Anyway, the best you're going to be able to do is a Sundowner seat on that bike and a low backrest.

You'll find the gas tank small for touring, the solid disk wheels catch a lot of cross wind and some early bikes were delivered with loose steering head nuts.

At that age I'd give the tires a good look, change the fluids and check for cracks in the brake lines. Also, look at the coolant t-connector on the right side of the airbox next to the frame. It's pretty common for it to crack due to its location.

Many accessories are available here in the classifieds.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
Between 2002 and 2008 they increased the tank size to 5.2 gallons, widened the rear to accommodate a 240 tire, changed the brakes to Brembo, changed the engine from 1130cc to 1250cc displacement and the tins went from aluminum to steel. I'm sure there were a few other changes, but these stick out in my mind.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
I highly recommend going for an 08 with ABS. You'll get all the latest advancements except for the updated steering head clamp. Comes with 1250, ABS, 5 gallon tank, slipper clutch, should have a steel stem and new style nut already too. If you're ok with or want mid controls and are ok with the narrower rear tire, the 2008 D model is probably the best all around Motorcycle Harley has has ever built, and should be the quickest of all the V-Rods due to it being the lightest and having very nice WAY lighter wheels than all the other models. Which (except for Poland, which got street legal VR1000s) would make the 2008 D the fastest street legal Harley Davidson ever made in the history of the universe.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Go for it!

From above:

"You'll find the gas tank small for touring, the solid disk wheels catch a lot of cross wind and some early bikes were delivered with loose steering head nuts.

At that age I'd give the tires a good look, change the fluids and check for cracks in the brake lines. Also, look at the coolant t-connector on the right side of the airbox next to the frame. It's pretty common for it to crack due to its location."

Very good information but in my opinion, although there are certainly some V Rods that are more liked than others, you really can't go wrong with any of them especially if they have low mileage and were stored out of the weather. My first Harley is an 04 B model which I purchased with 2500 miles on the clock. The original owner actually put over $8,000 worth of bolt on Harley parts and I only paid $9,500 for it but be fore warned that they can be money pits if you get weak like most of us do. As far as comfort, the Sundowner seat is the most comfortable in my opinion and although they make a 5 gallon tank for the older models, the minor hassle of fueling up every hundred miles or so is not so bad unless you are planning a cross country trip. I did just order a Rick's five gallon but haven't installed it yet. Coming from sport bikes you'll find that although the bike is very fast it's certainly not a crotch rocket but compared to most other V Twin Cruisers it's the King, hands down! The bikes have class and no matter what some airheads may say, the bike is a HARLEY DAVIDSON, plain and simple. As far as the solid wheels, when I'm on the highway and I have to pass a tractor trailer is simply click down to third or maybe even second and go past them like they don't exist. I get it over with as quickly as possible. I seldom look at my speedo in first gear at red line because it pulls pretty violent at wide open throttle for this old man but can attest that the 04 will pull 95 mph in second gear which for a V Twin Cruiser ain't to bad. I have the 200/50 Metz on the rear of mine and it handles amazingly well for what the bike is. Every bike has it's limitations but for a HD the machine handles incredibly well and even with the slightly radical rake up front, it just falls over in the twisties and puts a smile on my face every time. Buy it and post a photo of it as it is when you get it and then take another a year from now. I think you'll see a completely different bike if you love it like most of us do.
Respectfully ad Ride Safe,
Ed

Attachments

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
Welcome, and what "they" said!:D

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
welcome to the site!! check the things mentioned and update all the fluids all of which are VERY common and simple to fix issues with these bikes. I bought an 03 and its slowly turning into new bike with wider wheels clutch brakes and personal touches! these bikes are user friendly and this site has a ton of knowledge and has saved me thousands!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts