Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought id share. Went on a ride with a few friends yesterday in Illinois, i on my DX, them on a nightster, and the other on a night train. As what occasionally happens a storm brewed up, and we got caught in a heavy down pour, im not all that of an experienced driver in the rain so i slowed down quite a bit. We got up the road and seen a pavillion at a local park, pulled in and they had a smirk on their face and said "wtf" your vrod throws a solid water rooster tail into the air about 10 foot high, they said it was the damndest thing they had ever seen, and that they had seen less water coming out of the back of a jetski.
I am guessing this comes from my wider 260 tire not having the ability to "cut through" the water and more hyroplaning ontop of the water drenched road. Not sure, has anyone else experienced this, or other troubles with their DX on water?

·
Registered
64 Posts
i heard the same thing about throwing a rooster tail off my 240 . i could see the guys wheel on my right doing some serious weaving on the road snakes in the rain he was on a 1500 vulcan i think . i was with 15 plus bikes and with alot of very experienced riders and they were saying how that was one of the worst rains they'd driven through . i figured the reason i wasn't weaving as bad and didn't really mind it was because of the 240 . i was soaked to the bone mind you lol . new to riding and had'nt bought rain gear yet although were the hell was i giong to put it . new 09 aw and at the she was stock . i guess my point is i'm thinking the 240 is good to have in the rain ? but what do i know this is my first bike .

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah same here, this is my first bike as well, be honest with you i had no desire to own a Harley until i seen the NightRod, and i was like whoa..what is that and where can i get one lol.
So yeah in my mind though i think a thinner tire would be better in a heavy rain, with its ability to cut through the water on the pavement. I have also read stories on the forum of experienced drivers who have recently switched to a v-rod and dumped their bike over the first time they drove in the rain while taking a corner at low speeds, i have no clue, any input would be appreciated, i just thought a solid 10 foot rooster tail of water looked cool, they said they had never seen anything like it.

·
MOVE !!!!!!!!
232 Posts
Rain sucks....With heavy wind and hail...rain BLOWS!!!!!

I hated Harley always was a Streetbike guy. My buddy slipped on some sand and lightly went down on his F. His bike was fine but not his hand. So I drove up 20min in the canyons to drive his bike back while he drove my car......Welllllll thats all folks. I fell in love...So I went to the dealership just looking for a regular vrod untill I saw......MY BABYS!!!!!! :notworth: LOL love it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ha ha, yep like i said when i seen mine at the dealership, i pretty much got my checkbook out on the spot, one of my only impulse buys that i do not regret.

·
Registered
64 Posts
i wanted a harley but didn't want to spend the money and all the after you buy the bike money and the higher then adverage service cost but after riding the wifes 04 and a lot of thought i had know choice . v-rods rule and i'm going to say it so does HD . I'm Canadian and i bought into being the red headed stepchild of the family lol . i mean i shit on the wife for wanting this and that harley but now i want a willy g jaket or somethin . give me some skulls man lol . i've been riding with a guy with an 09 night train and last night he saided he'd rather have a muscle but didn't get a chance to ride one until a few months after he'd bought his N T . just goes to show that had the V's been marketed better they'd be flying off the shelf but in a why i kind of like the fact that not everyone and there dog is rollin a v . back to the rooster tail everything about these bikes is cool man . i mean where the next generation the future . i was watching ultimate factories the other night and they called us the stronger younger brother to the rest of the fam .:blahblah:

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I've ridden for couple hundred miles in a PA downpour with my 240 Metz at 80mph w/frequent burst close to 100. Only began to hydroplane when I got to 100, so kept it between 80 and 90mph after that.
Metz tires perform exceptionally in the rain, dunlop....not so much

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no complaints whatsoever about my Metz, but wow 80-100 in a downpour...hats off to you my friend your balls are definitely bigger than mine! although i always tell people who compliment my bike that "the bike is definitey braver than i am"

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've ridden for couple hundred miles in a PA downpour with my 240 Metz at 80mph w/frequent burst close to 100. Only began to hydroplane when I got to 100, so kept it between 80 and 90mph after that.
Metz tires perform exceptionally in the rain, dunlop....not so much
AOW - wow!!! I mean 80-100mph in the rain.... :notworth:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm a new user to the site, and frequently get caught in the afternoon rainstorms down here in Tampa. My v-rod rides like a rail compared to my old man's road king. I also hit 80-90 in the rain because who wants to get stuck in a rain storm longer than needed?

·
MOVE !!!!!!!!
232 Posts
Yeah we have to speed in cali no matter what the weather is like. :D

Nope no cool explanation about Cali. Were just assholes moving people out of our way one car at a time. :angeldev:

Oh and thanks for the that brake website AOW. You know any place cheaper then 33bucks?

·
Autobanmod
9,896 Posts
Once I had aquaplaning at too high speed, it really freaked me out when the handle bar got loose...
Autobahn, uphill, heavy rain and grooves in the asphalt - really bad mix
I can live with the wheel spin of the rear tire but the front should stay on the ground!
Ride safe!

·
Registered
95 Posts
ya i will never own another bike other than the vrod so if anyone at harley is reading i will never buy a new bike from u if u quit making the rod that said i rode my bike home in the rain when i bought it new bike rain chicago traffic highway speed didnt even notice the rain

·
Addicted to the "V"
98 Posts
Rain sucks ... but I have to say that when our group was riding to the Dragon in June the rain was actually fun. One of the best sights was to see the two other VRODs in front of me shooting up rooster tails that had to be 10 foot or better. I only wish that I had video of the rain ride.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
drdalto, im glad you seen/experienced this as well, it definitely is a sight to be seen, lol.
damn i love my bike

·
Registered
329 Posts

found this

·
Gone
9,302 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Road crap and water will wash off. That is the ugliest fender ever designed for a V-Rod. It should be against the law.
Ride to Alaska and back, then tell me all about it. If it helps keep water, mud, gravel, sand, etc. off, then it's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

I did the same thing when I first got the Softail Custom. I don't know who that dinky front fender was made for, but it sure wasn't made for anyone that rides in mud, and on dirt and gravel roads. So I bought a big fat front fender and put on there right after I got it, and has been on there since.

To each his own.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts