Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
Interesting read, thanks. I use the "weave" occasionally in traffic situations and it does work to attract attention.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Thats a good link Doc .:thumb: Maybe it will keep a few of us from getting hurt, or worse. Thanks for posting it. :)

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
Interesting info! I'll keep that in mind the next time I'm out riding.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Interesting. I've long held the theory that part of the problem with people pulling out in front of a motorcycle is also the difficulty in judging the speed of approach of a single point of light, which is similar to the first part of the "looming effect" described. I'm glad the V-Rod uses the front directionals as running lights as well - I think it really helps in creating motion perspective. I imagine running lights would really help as well.

·
Registered
494 Posts
"But, Officer, I really am sober and was weaving intentionally to overcome motion camouflage . . . honest!" :hidesbeh: :) :D

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Oh, I would like to be the fly on the wall listening to that conversation.

·
Premium Member
2,900 Posts
I wonder if some kind of running light bar with a row of LEDs that blinked from side to side like the ones on "Kit" in Knight Rider would get the attention of drivers. You'd look like an idiot, but you might be seen.

·
(Peter)
489 Posts
Excellent article, I just had a friend who had this very thing happen to him. He's been in the hospital for 4 weeks now. I always change positions in my lane when approaching an intersection or a car waiting to make a left turn across my path. I had no idea why I did it, I just did it instinctively, now I know.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I have noticed a huge difference in the number of cagers that "seem" to see me with my flashing headlight. I know some guys don't like them but if it keeps me alive and out of the hospital for an extended stay then I am all for it.

I think the reason most cagers pull out on us is they are only looking for cars and if they don't see a huge chunk of 3000lb metal coming at them they think they are free to go on their merry way.

Glenn

·
l337ub3rn00b
227 Posts
That was an interesting read. Thanks. Well, I weave a little bit unintentionally because I'm still new and still 'feeling' the road. But this is a good heads up. Anything we do to get someone to 'see' you out there is always a good thing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts