Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Autobanmod
9,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend I went for a ride and there was this Yamaha appearing in my mirror so I did what I had to do and all of a sudden at about 9000 RPM in 4th gear there was a clunk (no not that one...) and a shake rattle and roll. The R6 was still behind me then btw...
Boost went down considerably, I pulled the clutch and stopped in the nearby village. The Yamaha rider was very friendly and asked if I needed assistance but he didn't have a trailer with him so I rode home limping on just one cylinder.

Today I found that the valve stem was cracked and ripped of right underneath the collar, the collets are still in place.
The piston has marks but can be reused.
Good news is that I have all the parts at hand, bad news is that it was my intention to spend this week holidays riding and not wrenching my engine AGAIN :soapbox:

Attachments

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I hate to hear that Jan, you have had enough bad luck already.

·
Autobanmod
9,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.
I think that maybe the shim slipped out and caused the piston to touch the valve (more lift due to shim) and that the valve stem just broke because of the impact.
I will check the spring lengths tomorrow.
Another possibility might be that I changed the camshaft timing - slotted sprockets - in order to reduce overlapping.
I'll go back to stock sprockets.

·
Big Daddy!
975 Posts
That does not look repairable...:snicker:.which valves are you running Jan-Dirk? Was that the front, or rear cylinder?

·
"A" is the only way
3,349 Posts
Thats a bummer jan, but be happy as it could of been alotttttt worse. Well, I wish you would quit following me, first the water pump shaft, now the valve. You might have a good idea about using stock sprockets instead of the slotted maybe I'll go that route when I put mine back together. Check your rod out also that might be bent, mine was didn't need to measure anything could tell by just looking at it.

·
Autobanmod
9,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The front piston has only minimal damage, I'm not concerned about the rod but thanks for the heads up.
Exchanged the valve and reinstalled the head today, fited stock sprockets - will do the valve lash tomorrow.

·
Autobanmod
9,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The outer spring of the broken valve is about 0,8mm shortened, I changed it.
Meanwhile the engine is back in the frame, sofar I spent about eight hours. Not too fast but I'm content with it.

·
Autobanmod
9,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update:
Engine is back in place, stock sprockets are installed, bike runs strong like never before - 15 psi peak boost - front wheel comes up slightly in second gear without pulling the bars :D
How long will it last this time?
Time to start working on the spare engine ;)

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Jan-Dirk said:
Update:
Engine is back in place, stock sprockets are installed, bike runs strong like never before - 15 psi peak boost - front wheel comes up slightly in second gear without pulling the bars :D

Jan you are a glutton for punishment but I love to see what you do.

·
I'm Bored
1,741 Posts
Jan-Dirk said:
Update:

15 psi.....wow! That thing must scream....at least for now!

·
Autobanmod
9,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hey I accidentially did a wheely in second gear yesterday :)
I had a good launch in first and let the clutch go softly into second with throttle wide open. Front wheel came up maybe 10 inches.... with 32er pulley btw :D
I'm not good doing wheelies but it's getting addictive.
Earlier that day my buddy (he's got a Honda X11) and I went speeding on the Autobahn, the rear spark plug failed at top speed :( It was not burnt at all and looked ok from the colours but it didn't ignite nevertheless.
Had a set of spare plugs with me this time, quick fix.
Everytime I do full throttle on that bit of motorway something happens to my engine, I need six gears!

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
are the turbos trashing these motors......there have been several people on here with turbos lose there motor.

·
"A" is the only way
3,349 Posts
Jan-Dirk said:
Update:

I think this is why, not 6th gear needed :stilpoke:

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
chrome said:
are the turbos trashing these motors......there have been several people on here with turbos lose there motor.
Anyone can grenade a motor. Jan-Dirk has proved time and time again he's one of the best at it. ;)

His torture testing has provided alot of useful info on the limits of the Revo motor.

When you boost the motor, with Nitrous, or Turbo, or Big-Bore, you're asking it to do something it wasn't designed for. There is a risk. Jan Dirk is one who not only takes that risk, but pushes it to find the limits. The commercailly available power adders, when used with a good dose of common sense, really provide a lot of fun for these bikes. Choose your poison and drink up!! :cheers: (at your own risk of course.)

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
The spare motor seems like a great idea.......

1 - 20 of 33 Posts