Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Here in the States, Geico has been the cheapest by far for me. Progressive the highest.
Ask around at the dealers, other riders all look too and might save you some leg work.

·
Registered
196 Posts
My original insurer wanted $2650 yr for a 07 dx. We went to state farm for our house two cars and eventually two bikes.. I pay about 110 month now for the 07 dx. my wife will pay less for A 2010 street bob. We are both new riders ( two weeks) and almost 40 yrs old each with clean records.

·
Registered
186 Posts
My regular agent lined me up with a company called Foremost. I got full coverage for a year for about $500 (per year), with high deductible. I had never heard of them before and don't know anything about them.

When I went down to the agent to get insurance on the new bike, I found out that the company (Farmers) that has insured my bikes, pickups and house for 25 years or so will no longer insure motorcycles. I'm thinking it may be time to take my pickup and house insurance elsewhere, if they are too good for motorcycles.

Also, after I paid in full for the year, they sent me a bill 2 months later for another $500 or so! They said that's because of the wreck and ticket you got for dangerous driving, or some such. I said, hey I was sitting at a stoplight and got rear ended, it was the other guy that got the ticket. They said oh, yeah, we goofed, and they fixed it. It was my agent's goof up, not Foremost's.

One thing I did was waive the medical on me, as I get medical ins. at work, and couldn't figure out why I would insure myself twice.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Oddities:
I discovered a few years ago that Geico had the BEst rates for my Auto Ins, Their Motorcycle coverage is still outrages though they want $936 for the same coverage Foremost gives me for $400 a year. I use to have Progressive on the bike but every year that went up considerably for no reason.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Geico and Progressive will insure anyone that has money.This means the rates are spread and makes the premiums high for the people that are less of a risk.Plus,they spend way to much money on adds.The 10's of billions they spend on TV commercials could be put back into the companys and keep rates to an acceptable level.

Through the company I use,and with high numbers of coverage,I pay less than $600 a year for 4 bikes.I'm 54,safe rider,no home mortgage,and have a high credit score.
Other insurances will help on rates too.If a motorcycle loan has GAP insurance,you will usually get a better rate.If you home owners policy covers vandalism on vehicles that are enclosed and in a locked building ,you should get a cut.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Damn, I pay about $900 a year for full coverage on three bikes, one is a $30,000 BigDog. I think one of the biggest factors is the number of years you've been riding with a valid motorcycle license, 30 years for me. Shop around and try and keep as clean of a driving record as you can. That seems to be the hardest part for most of us.

·
caferacer
5,686 Posts
Get a second sled

My regular agent who I have a ton of coverage with (home,business,ect.)honestly told me i would get a better rate elsewhere.
tried state farm $2100 and made:banghead: it sound like they were doing me a favor!
I live in southern Ont Canada,http://www.1130cc.com/forums/images/smilies/banghead.gif
I have 2 sled's and no cage. My Progressive is same as your Farming insurance.I've been involved in numerous accidents and multiple speeding tix. State Farm ain't doin' you any favors. Shop around.Agent may change his tune.

More bikes will lower your $$....Garage them.Walk to work.Alarm them.Take pix of all your mod's and send them in.

On a another note....zip code matters.
I moved from one end of San Francisco to the other(less theft area) and my premium jumped 200? Safer 'hood with higher taxes?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.