Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Where's Max?
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious, after a few mishaps with some of my riding buddies, I would be interested in knowing about people and their insurance coverage on their bikes. 2 of my friends that went down over the last 12 month have not had full coverage insurance, this on a bike they are still paying on. Is this the normal or is it an oddity?

I'll start.
I'm with Farmers Insurance, full coverage w/ medical rider and uninsured motorist coverage. Cost is about $22/month. Also have the G.A.P. from HD Credit to cover anything that my insurance doesn't towards my loan.

-Bill

·
Registered
229 Posts
Xoygeha said:
I'm curious, after a few mishaps with some of my riding buddies, I would be interested in knowing about people and their insurance coverage on their bikes. 2 of my friends that went down over the last 12 month have not had full coverage insurance, this on a bike they are still paying on. Is this the normal or is it an oddity?

I'll start.
I'm with Farmers Insurance, full coverage w/ medical rider and uninsured motorist coverage. Cost is about $22/month. Also have the G.A.P. from HD Credit to cover anything that my insurance doesn't towards my loan.

-Bill
Why don't your friends have full coverage on a bike that is not fully paid off??
That's odd/stupid IMO.

I have full coverage on my bike and thank God because I went down a couple of weeks ago and I don't have to worry about a thing.

I'm with Geico and I love 'em. No hassle what so ever when I got into my accident. The HD dealership where my bike is at faxed over what needs to be fixed and they cut them a check. I couldn't be more happier.

·
VROD JUNKIE
1,390 Posts
I have full comprehensive insurance that covers me for damage to all parties both property and medical.

I pay about $800 AUD a year.

I thought it was a legal requirement everywhere that any vehicle under finance must have full comprehensive insurance, unless it is a Personal loan used to purchase the vehicle.

I also think anyone who doesent have full cover should not be allowed on the road IMHO.

·
Ms. Subtle
12,179 Posts
i have the same coverages/ddeductibles.. on my bike as i do my car.. full coverage plus some for medical etc.. it costs me more but my piece of mind is worth it

·
Riding the Rev
1,523 Posts
What are you paying with Geico. I have 250 ded, comp and collision and towing and pay around $400.00

·
That U in my mirror?
1,511 Posts
I have Geico with the following coverage:

Bodily Injury: $100k/300k
Prop Damage: $25k
Uninsured: $100k/300k
Comp: $500 Ded.
Coll: $500 Ded.

Cost: $492/year

Cost will vary by region of country and driving record. Someone said it below, Insurance companies have every angle figured out much like the Airlines. You just have to shop around and find the best deal.

They are betting that you won't have a claim and you are betting that you will eventually. The costs are based on historical record.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
FWIW,my ins,through 2 companys,on car and MC's,has paid over 6k in comp for non moving mishaps in 3 years.

I keep major medical,short and long term disability above an beyond my home and auto ins.
Not having proper insurance on a motor vehicle of any sort on public highways is very irresponsible in my eyes and most finance companys require you keep good coverage w a $250 ded on MC's.
Just remember the silly little phrase......The only time you need insurance is when you don't have it!

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
3OliveMartini said:
"insurance is a rip off"

hmmm....

lets see what you say when you go down and have to replace every thing ..
I hate paying the bills but :them: on this one too. Anyone who doesnt have insurance regardless of state law is not to bright.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have FC and pay $480 a yr with Foremost with a $250/$250 ded., 100/300/100 coverages.

·
Guitar, not Gator
8,049 Posts
Xoygeha said:
have not had full coverage insurance, this on a bike they are still paying on. Is this the normal or is it an oddity?
-Bill
I'm pretty sure the finance company can reposess a bike that is not covered. Check the fine print. When you finance, you usually sign a paper stating that you will cover full coverage.

I carry all the TX minimums plus full coverage (including add ons) and $500 deductible, but I have both bikes a mini-van and the house all on the same policy with ANPAC.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
We're supposed to insure these things :confused:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Dairyland Ins. (sentry) Thru H-d Financial..
All Coverages The Same As Tray Except 100 Ded. On Comp/coll.
However I Have X-rta Overages On Parts And Acces... Just Last Week My Bike Fell Over On The Right Side Damaged And Broke The Batwing, And Damaged A Bunch Of Stuff. Everything Is Covered And All Repairs Are Being Done. I Pay 54.00/mo.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
My agent told me that the uninsured motorist and PIP would put the rate through the roof. All you lose out on with not having uninsured motorist, is you have to pay a deductible if an insuranceless loser crashes into you and it's his fault. The PIP only covers medical bills and stuff that your health insurance coverage didn't cover, so if you have decent health insurance the PIP isn't worth it if they want a lot for it, if it's cheap, then why not get what you can.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
100000/300000 liability 250 comp 500 collision, medical NO unisured motorist (I carry it on my cars and under Florida's loose statutes it extends to when I'm on the bike, YMMV). Uninsured Motorist more than doubles the rates down here.

Had Dairyland and was paying about $450 / year, switched to GEICO and pay $225 / year for the same coverage.

Remember, this is in Florida with 12 month riding. Florida also has some of the highest loss statistics for theft and collision in the country.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have full coverage, your required to in Wisconsin if have a loan on a vehicle of any tipe it costs me $215.00 for 12 months from Formost. That is not bad I pay almost that much for just liability on my 96 VFR.

·
aka shudude
3,174 Posts
I have Formost:

Bodily Injury: $100k/300k
Uninsured: $100k/300k
Prop Damage: $50k
Comp: $500 Ded.
Coll: $500 Ded.

Cost: $223/year (that's even with 1 point on my license)

I switched from Markel (Bike-line.com) because they only carry 30/60 max for uninsured in California. They said they dropped it to the min. required by the state because they had too may loses from unisured drivers.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Bodily and Property: 100,000/300,000/100,000
PIP aggregate: 10,000 ea person ($0 deductible)
Uninsured Motorists/ for bodily injury: 100,000/300,000 ea person
Medical payments: 5,000
Collision insurance: actual cash value ($250 deductible)
Auto comprehensive insurance: actual cash value ($250 deductible)
towing and labor: $50
rental reimbursement: $20 per day for upto 30 days
Optional or added equipment: $1000

Allstate insurance. $473 a year.

·
Sparky
205 Posts
mjw930 said:
100000/300000 liability 250 comp 500 collision, medical NO unisured motorist (I carry it on my cars and under Florida's loose statutes it extends to when I'm on the bike, YMMV). Uninsured Motorist more than doubles the rates down here.

Had Dairyland and was paying about $450 / year, switched to GEICO and pay $225 / year for the same coverage.

Remember, this is in Florida with 12 month riding. Florida also has some of the highest loss statistics for theft and collision in the country.
Had the same experience in going to Geico. Initially had my insurance with Liberty which was where I have my house, cars and other stuff. Liberty was in the $475 range, Geico came in at $256 for the exact same coverage.
It pays to shop around. I'm not knocking Liberty, it's just that motorcycles aren't their target market and I would think this is the same for several insurance companies.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts