Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered Idiot
5,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A group of us went riding Sunday and ended up meeting one member of the group at at dealership. All of us wandered in for a stretch, drink, etc. There were several Vs, all way over priced. Then there were several 1200XR, when we stopped to look at them the salesman really started to get pushy, look how much theses are marked down (10k), take one for a ride, and so on. Then he told us how fast they are, I tried, honest I did, but I could not stop myself. I chuckled and said "It is a Sportster, it's not fast" I walked off to the can. Yeah kind of smartass thing to say, I guess he has never been on a Vrod.
So I have to ask, do I get my DH merit badge? :D

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
I had a salesman tell me the 1200 sporty is as faster than the New Vrod. I started to say something but then realized hew is right. Its faster to be traded in, its faster to loose value, its faster if a VRSC is going 30MPH and the Sportster is going 35MPH.

Then again he may have just been talking about the F.

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
Yes you get a merit badge.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
I would have agreed with the Salesman, and then added that it's fast "for a Girl's bike"!:D

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Most have never ridden a V. Met a salesman in CO, at a gas stop. He took pictures of our bikes. Was blown away by the roadrods. Joe

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
I would have agreed with the Salesman, and then added that it's fast "for a Girl's bike"!:D
I always wondered why the (pre-V-rod) fastest, best launching, best handling and subjectively best looking bike HD made was called a girls bike. Does big, fat and slow make it a mans bike? Fast is relative to the line-up and the Sporty is the lightest HD made as well.

·
Good Muthafarka
11,223 Posts
First mistake...........calling into dealership.............second mistake talking to the staff...................3 strikes and your out ...but luv your response !!!

·
Registered Idiot
5,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First mistake...........calling into dealership.............second mistake talking to the staff...................3 strikes and your out ...but luv your response !!!
Yeah I know but the dealerships have good locations and make good rally points for group rides. Free coffee and usually clean restrooms. I normaly avoid the sales pople unless I am actually buying, ( I don't waste thier time and I expect the same in return) I did try to tell the guy we were just passing thru and not buying, several times in fact. Like I said, he was pushy.
But at least someone was kind enought to let me have my DH merit badge. :D

I actually do like the XR http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Motorcycles/xr1200x.html

·
redneckgearhead
267 Posts
I was told that the sportster has won more races and set more records than any other bike. Is it true?

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
I was told that the sportster has won more races and set more records than any other bike. Is it true?
I think that was the flat dirt track racers. The XR750 I think was tops for many decades, Hondas did try and do well but left. All their stuff was reverse rotation and uber tick for the place they were at. Kinda like showing up to a old time car race with a ZR1 Vette.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
I think that was the flat dirt track racers. The XR750 I think was tops for many decades, Hondas did try and do well but left. All their stuff was reverse rotation and uber tick for the place they were at. Kinda like showing up to a old time car race with a ZR1 Vette.
Maybe if you count all those Battle of the Twins and 883 Sportster class races?

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Which bike is faster, the XR-1200 or a V-Rod depends on the type of road you ride them on. Other than the Street Rod, that XR-1200 you dismiss with a laugh will humiliate any other V-Rod on a twisty mountain road. It won't even be close. Have you ridden one in some curves? They aren't bad at all, especially the more recent versions with the Big Piston Fork and reservoir shocks. The tighter the road the greater the XR's advantage over the V-Rod.

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
HD dropped the xr1200 for 2013. It did how ever outlast the R.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
HD dropped the xr1200 for 2013. It did how ever outlast the R.
Nice "shot" .
Buyers just don't think Harley when it comes to performance or handling. HD always falls a little short though. The XR, like the R, although better at the twisties than than the rest of the line-up still pales in comparison to the competition in many areas. The same reason Buells did not fly off the sales floor.
Those of us who like the feel of bigger twins, good suspension and cornering appreciate these bikes but most look elsewhere. There is more to be had for less money. There is also the ever present peer pressure and bragging rights that come with a so called "super bike". Posers of a different kind considering most have neither the skill nor balls to utilize all their bikes offer.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts