Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, first time posting here, a shame it's in the mechanical section!
Just bought a 2002 vrsca.
The previous owner, I believe, charged the battery without pulling the fuse, and blew the voltage regulator. Just replaced that today, and now the bike starts and holds a charge.
The reason I mention this is because I have no front headlamps or front turn signals, nor do any of my instruments on the cluster work. The panel is illuminated, and the lights indicating the headlamps and turn signals, neutral, etc. are lit.
Do you guys believe I've got a total panel failure? Could it be related to the issue with the voltage regulator?

Thanks!!

Chris

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
I assume you checked all of the fuses. I would also check the grounds.

Turn the ignition switch to "ACC" or "Accessory". All the lights should light and the gauges should swing to full throw then back again after a few seconds.

Push the little button on the bottom/front of the instrument panel in and see if the display shows mileage.

If yes then you should pull the DTC's (DIagnostic Trouble codes) logged. Here are two threads on how to do this and what the codes mean

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3&highlight=diagnostic+trouble+codes

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2&highlight=trouble+codes

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for the delay. All fuses are good. I'm assuming all the grounds go to the cylinder head? I've checked those, and they're good.
I don't have any response from the mileage button, and nothing happens when it's set to ACC.
Sound like it's dead?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
sound like a bad ignition switch to me

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What makes you believe it's the ignition switch? I have lights on my instrument panel, and when I use the turn signals, the lights illuminate on the panel, and the rear signals activate.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
there are 2 separate circuits to the switch. With the ignition switch in the on/run position the main power and accessory both power up. Does your brake light work?

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Did you check the fuses in your wiring harness for your turn signals... they are in the loom near the front covers. If one of those goes out you will have the symptoms you describe. They are inline fuses.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Did you check the fuses in your wiring harness for your turn signals... they are in the loom near the front covers. If one of those goes out you will have the symptoms you describe. They are inline fuses.

Inline fuses from the factory? Not on mine,I have a fuse panel.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Inline fuses from the factory? Not on mine,I have a fuse panel.
My 03 has both... inline and panel... been that way since day it was new. I blew my left front blinker once and took me forever to find where it was. It looks like part of the factory harness, with factory plugs on each end. I had the exact same symptoms he describes.

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
My 03 has both... inline and panel... been that way since day it was new. I blew my left front blinker once and took me forever to find where it was. It looks like part of the factory harness, with factory plugs on each end. I had the exact same symptoms he describes.
Interesting. I know some after market stuff adds inline fuses but the electrical diagrams do not show inline fuses anywhere. Could there have been some after market blinkers installed at one time?

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
If the VIN starts with 5HD5 on yours,I might buy that the factory installed a redundant set of fuses.Even so,why would international rules require extra inline fuses?

As far as what PCommon is asking,yes,there are more grounds.I don't have them now,but your service manual should have inserts in the back for the curcuits.It should also have enough wiring info to trace the circuits for 12 volts so you know if there is voltage or not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I have the same problem on my Vrod. No front lights, no turn signal, no stop signal, no fuel indicator. The fuses are ok and the relés(grounds?) also.
Its possible to help me please?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts