Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Ted
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The IM on my 2003 has had a problem for several years. The tachometer, speedometer, gas gauge, and LED display do not work most of the time. When this first started happening, only the LED display would fade in and out sporadically. Others have posted about this problem, but I have not found a solution.

I have replaced the IM and the wiring harness. I have also put in 2 new batteries (not from HD). My last effort was to have HD try to find the problem. After 2+ hours or $300 of diagnostics, HD was unable to find the problem.

Anyone have any clue as to what might be going on? I'm running out of ideas, and money.

·
EXCELSIOR
8,617 Posts
There's a component in the unit that gets hot and causes the issue. Angelo at Dutch Custom LED can fix it, only is problem in the early model years. Trick is you have to send it to Holland.
It was happening to mine and he took care of it while making some changes to the lighting.

·
Ted
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's a component in the unit that gets hot and causes the issue. Angelo at Dutch Custom LED can fix it, only is problem in the early model years. Trick is you have to send it to Holland.
It was happening to mine and he took care of it while making some changes to the lighting.
I bought an instrument module off E-Bay last year hoping it would solve this problem. I suppose it is possible I have 2 modules with the same problem, but highly unlikely. I may be missing the point you make about a component getting hot in the unit, but mine does it hot or cold, sometimes only for a few minutes, and other times for a few months. Holland seems like a long way to go for a repair, but I'm sure it would have been cheaper.

·
VRSC est -03
3,540 Posts
I`ll pm you Angelos mail adress. I know he`ll give you some wise words regarding the IM.

·
EXCELSIOR
8,617 Posts
The component getting hot is something that happens over time and causes permanent damage which gets progressively worse.
Mine started like you mention with the digital display fading in and out with no apparent cause or reason. Then later the gages began to lose their reference, speedo and tach both would lose count and use the new reference as the zero point. I noticed being out on a ride cruising down the interstate with traffic and looking at the speedo and I was going 130 mph, pulled off the at an exit and at the stop light it was still reading 50 mph and the tach 3000 at idle.
Cycling the key on and off several times would finally bring the needles back down to their normal positions but it would happen again.
Angelo explained the issue with the early modules and was able to repair it.

·
Ted
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The component getting hot is something that happens over time and causes permanent damage which gets progressively worse.
Mine started like you mention with the digital display fading in and out with no apparent cause or reason. Then later the gages began to lose their reference, speedo and tach both would lose count and use the new reference as the zero point. I noticed being out on a ride cruising down the interstate with traffic and looking at the speedo and I was going 130 mph, pulled off the at an exit and at the stop light it was still reading 50 mph and the tach 3000 at idle.
Cycling the key on and off several times would finally bring the needles back down to their normal positions but it would happen again.
Angelo explained the issue with the early modules and was able to repair it.
Thank you for the explanation. I have E-mailed Angelo about this problem but haven't heard from him yet. Usually, my gauges act like scared turtles and hide.

·
Ted
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi again,

I heard from Angelo, and I want to send him one of my IMs. I've only checked UPS and USPS for shipping to the Netherlands. UPS is very expensive, and USPS will take forever to get there. I am not in a hurry but would like to know what shipping company you used to send your IM to Angelo. Angelo did give me some shipping tips.

Thanks for all the advice so far. I am very optimistic this will all work out in the end.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I mailed important document certified mail, to my county seat in NY ....... it was a 30 minute drive, but was closed to walk-ins due to the "China" virus... Well, I tracked it to Y'bor city Florida and back. Another package from North Carolina spent 5 days vacationing in Denver, CO be4 it was sent to NY.........

·
Ted
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I mailed important document certified mail, to my county seat in NY ....... it was a 30 minute drive, but was closed to walk-ins due to the "China" virus... Well, I tracked it to Y'bor city Florida and back. Another package from North Carolina spent 5 days vacationing in Denver, CO be4 it was sent to NY.........
I'll be tracking this one and will let you know how it goes. I expect it to arrive within 2 weeks. The major delay will be customs.

·
Ted
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My IM is working better than it ever has thanks to Angelo. Everything went very smoothly, and Angelo is top notch. I just can't say enough about his awesome work.

It took 2 weeks for my IM to arrive (USPS) in Holland and 1 week for the return (UPS) to the States. It took about 4 weeks total but worth the wait. My shipping costs were about $50 there and $25 back, I had Angelo do an upgrade and this is the result.
Speedometer Odometer Gauge Tachometer Automotive lighting

Here is the Facebook link to this project
Dutchcustomled - This Vrod owner reached me from 1130cc.... | Facebook

·
Registered
3 Posts
That's sweet.......... as soon as I can find a replacement for my original for a decent price, I'll be send mine on a cruise as well!! I don't/won't have facebook, there must be another way of contacting him..........
Im member on this forum since 2006 or so under 'Dutchrod'. I just found i can log in from my FB too like i do now. Maybe else try [email protected]
I may have an 04-05 donor gauge soon, or you need an 07 or 08 or 09-up type.

send me an mail to the above and wl go from there.

Regards Angelo

·
Registered
489 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I did send you an email yesterday to that Gmail. My IM works fine and don't want to modify it at this time. I have a 2006 VRSCR streetrod, and I'm looking for a good replacement to send out for your customization. Not sure what other years will work for my bike in the standard configuration.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts