Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled the bike out a couple weeks ago washed it after sitting all winter, the battery had died so i ordered and changed the battery. Went for a ride and all was ok. Parked up in the garage and left it.
Came back to the bike a day later and noticed as i walked up to the bike a couple of the LED's on the rear light were dimly lit up. On the instrument cluster the red key was lit up and so was the green neutral and on the front light was flickering (not the whole light - one of the small side lights on the daymaker)

The battery is a straightforward swap so i don't think it could have been that. I checked the connections etc. and it seems OK.

anyone seen something like this?

·
VRSC est -03
3,094 Posts
Double check connectors. I like to use some die electric grease / acid-free petroleum jelly in the connectors to reduce the number of gremlins, also slows down corrosion. Check the ground cable of the battery/top part engine + the one at the oil sump.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I pulled the bike out a couple weeks ago washed it after sitting all winter, the battery had died so i ordered and changed the battery. Went for a ride and all was ok. Parked up in the garage and left it.
Came back to the bike a day later and noticed as i walked up to the bike a couple of the LED's on the rear light were dimly lit up. On the instrument cluster the red key was lit up and so was the green neutral and on the front light was flickering (not the whole light - one of the small side lights on the daymaker)

The battery is a straightforward swap so i don't think it could have been that. I checked the connections etc. and it seems OK.

anyone seen something like this?
If you used a high pressure hose or a jetwash I would check you did not get water in the IM connector. This has happened to a few people after washing their bike. It is a common place to have water ingress.

·
VRSC est -03
3,094 Posts
If you used a high pressure hose or a jetwash I would check you did not get water in the IM connector. This has happened to a few people after washing their bike. It is a common place to have water ingress.
Good point. Riding season coming up:
To avoid problems place a plastic bag over the cluster when washing the bike. Also avoid water jet directly against the neck bearings / triple tree area. Included wheel / rim hub bearings.
This cannot be repeated to often.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts