Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2003 Vrod instrument cluster drives me Nucking Futs! Speedo/RPM doesn't work for a month (turn signals, low fuel, check engine always work)...I go for a 3hr ride in the mountains and all of a sudden EVERYTHING WORKS PERFECTLY? It lasts for about a week or so...then all of a sudden...NO SPEEDO/RPM...AGAIN! Go for another 3hr ride and she starts to work again? Arghhhh! I can't figure it out? Anyone out there help me with this?
Al

·
Premium Member
2,520 Posts
Sounds like a loose connector or ground easy to check - follow wires back check them out disconnect plugs behind left side cover look at pins, check grounds before you replace the cluster

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2003 Vrod instrument cluster drives me Nucking Futs! Speedo/RPM doesn't work for a month (turn signals, low fuel, check engine always work)...I go for a 3hr ride in the mountains and all of a sudden EVERYTHING WORKS PERFECTLY? It lasts for about a week or so...then all of a sudden...NO SPEEDO/RPM...AGAIN! Go for another 3hr ride and she starts to work again? Arghhhh! I can't figure it out? Anyone out there help me with this?
Al

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have have a 2010 Muscle and also had concerns about the stock instrument cluster. Mine focus on washing the bike and if any water gets near it, it leaks and fogs up for weeks. So I have been looking for an aftermarket, possibly digital set to replace the whole cluster with. Anyone have a recommendation?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I cover my instrument cluster with plastic when I wash it. Sounds like a loose connection to me, too. I’d check the plug in in the back of the instruments, the cluster is just held in with the bezel that surrounds it. Clean the harness terminal and gauge plug in with electronics spray cleaner- (Wal-Mart or auto parts store for bout $5). Plug it back in and hopefully it’ll be fine. The ground (or grounds) will be part of this harness. Not sure if all the gauges have one common ground. If they do then its not the ground if some gauges are working. Others more knowledgeable on this forum could tell you which wires in the connecting terminal provide the signal/power to each specific gauge.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Al
This is not a magic oil post, just my experience with this issue.

Are your turn signals not working or do they not cancel automogically? If they work but do not cancel it could be an issue with the engine speed sensor. The early Vs used RPM at least partially to cancel the signals. No signal - no cancel, no tach, no speedo..... In my case changing the sensor remedied it for a year or two only to have it return. I cleaned the sensor and re-installed it and the problem went away.

Now this may sound crazy but, since switching to HD filters I have not had that problem. Previiously, I was using the equivalent size K&N filter. My THEORY is that maybe the HD filter has different material and is better suited to the oil additives for motorcycles or micro clutch material in the oil. Anyway, it's been 3-4 years and no more stuck needles in the speedo.

Good Luck - Please share what you find

·
Registered
29 Posts
My 2002 speedo reset button didn't work so I thought it would be an easy fix to replace it. Opened it up and there are lots of cold solder joints on the circuit board. Tested the switch and it works fine. Where it is soldered into the board, looks like cold solder joints. Haven't had time to solder in the new switch.

·
1130cc is enuff 4 me
2,427 Posts
Mine does this too. The cluster will go dark while on a ride. Then I switch from hi beam to low beam than back to hi beam & sometimes it lights up again. It's weird & annoying.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts