Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
CENLA V-Rodder
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably very simple.

My instrument cluster has 3 digital readouts that change (rotate) as you click the button on the bottom side of the cluster.

1) overall mileage on bike
2) trip mileage
3) ???? It's not a clock, doesn't seem to be rpm, mileage, etc.. the readout is rarely the same but it is usually a low number...something like this
(r 60).

I did some searches here in the forum but didn't come up with anything. I've got a service manual but it only addresses removal/installation.

·
SpeedoDocter
2,363 Posts
Or 'range/ remaining'.. and mine is always low :)

The ECM adds the avarage fuel pulses you are useing at that moment and computes a range using the remaining gaslevel.
When you check the range having gased up it is at a factory known level that is avarage for a full tank
add the known fact the fuel gauges dont work most of the time the range is low too.

My thundermax ecm throws a different fuel pulse than the stock ecm so the number is twice as high. And i have a 5 gal tank where the ECM compares it to a table for a 3.2 gal tank so it's a BS number...

·
CENLA V-Rodder
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol...I do hate my fuel gauge...the first day I rode it to work it seemed to be working fine until it got below 1/2...a few minutes late I noticed it was showing abut 1/4 tank...I was only a few miles from work so I didn't really worry too much but thought that was strange...by the time I got to work the gauge was showing empty and I got off the bike looking for a leak. When I got home after filling up I read about all the fuel gauge problems on the forums here and was a little relieved but I'm still not comfortable going more than 100 miles between fill-ups which means I fill up at about 80 - 90 miles because my commute is in that range.

Or 'range/ remaining'.. and mine is always low :)

The ECM adds the avarage fuel pulses you are useing at that moment and computes a range using the remaining gaslevel.
When you check the range having gased up it is at a factory known level that is avarage for a full tank
add the known fact the fuel gauges dont work most of the time the range is low too.

My thundermax ecm throws a different fuel pulse than the stock ecm so the number is twice as high. And i have a 5 gal tank where the ECM compares it to a table for a 3.2 gal tank so it's a BS number...

·
SpeedoDocter
2,363 Posts
Fortunately my gasgauge has worked flawlesly from 2005 bt 20k miles. i would absolutely hate riding around with a gauge showing 'empty', no mather a odo you can set at 0...i would forget that.

Recently i discovered my AlfaRomeo Guillietta warnes me a few times for low gas and the last 1/16 th of the gauge it sudden drops to 'E' and remaining is '---' ... WTF! it just had 70 kms remaining...

I had a few ideas for creating a different way of measuring fuel level but i dont have a old strip to try that. also contacted a member who would send me a replaced sonar sender but never heard again. ah well...mine workes

1 - 6 of 6 Posts