Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer/reason for this post: I have OCD.

There were a couple of minor streaks/dust particles underneath the glass on my instrument cluster, along with some water stains that got in there during some routine cleaning (BEFORE i read posts that clearly stated not to directly spray the cluster with water.) It was nothing severe enough to bother the dealer with warranty questions; I know this. It's mostly just me, though I'm a little perplexed as to why the cluster couldn't be made air tight. With the way its built, I can't see how even normal heavy rain water couldn't get in there and get streaks/whatnot on the inner glass/gauges. But I digress.

I decided to clean it myself; also wanted to put a coat of Zaino polish with UV-40 protection on it to protect the gauge faces... and maybe make it shine/clean it just a bit more.

I read a post from Max from a few years back on how to disassemble the cluster. Unfortunately, the photos in that thread (I'm a very visual learner) were no longer available. I decided to tackle it anyway.

In the process of attempting to remove the glass to clean it, I flat out destroyed the aluminum band that holds the rubber/plastic housing securing the actual glass. I could not figure out how to remove the glass without severely damaging the aluminum. I finally decided to chuck that aluminum piece and figure something else out.

I went to my local hardware store and picked up some heavy duty aluminum foil tape, found in the heating/cooling/metal duct work aisle. This was my replacement for the aluminum band, and as far as I can tell, it worked quite well and has the exact same effect as the original aluminum band. If anything, it may be a bit more water tight than the original aluminum band, as it fits much tighter/closer, while still not being "air" tight to allow for proper operation.

Now, my gauges are perfectly clear, polished, and have UV-40 sunscreen protectant/polish on them on the INSIDE... so nothing should fade. I realize the glass already has some form of anti-glare/coating on them, but my OCD is satisfied now knowing that the view of my gauges is completely unobstructed, clean, shiny, and protected, possibly even more than before.

Only down side: clearly voided any gauge warranty if something were to malfunction in the future. OCD is expensive, what can I say. Drugs haven't helped thus far. Perhaps a topic for the "Off-Topic" section.

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Modding will help with your OCD so just keep at it. As for the deleted pictures I too have wondered why early parts of this forum are missing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts