Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
<EDIT> See the later posts in this thread for a quick "HOW TO" on polishing the pulley.

Does anyone have the insctructions for removing and replacing the rear pully?

I'm planning on doing the polished pully, as Max has posted, but I just want to make sure I'm not going to screw up actually doing the removal and then re-installation.

I venture a guess that the HD Chrome pully kit comes with the proper instructions like the rest of their stuff does.

HD should post all those instruction papers on thier web-site anyway.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Jack your bike up, then...
Loosen your lower muffler in order to get to your axle nut.Remove clip on end of axle, remove nut, you may have to tap axle a bit, pull axle out and carefully remove the belt from the pulley and lower the rear wheel out. Make sure not to lose the spacers and once the wheel is off, you can gently tug on the pulley and it will pop right off. It is held in place with rubber so there are no screws or nuts. Good Luck.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help.

Max, thanks for posting your photos. Great inspiration.

Lesson learned - better to use a chamical paint remover than to use a rough paint remover (I used a 3M brand paint and light rust remover) Worked great, but gave me a little too much extra sanding to get it all smooth again.

Attachments

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Looks good, I call it poor mans chrome. :)

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
DCLittlejohn said:
Thanks for the help.

Max, thanks for posting your photos. Great inspiration.

Lesson learned - better to use a chamical paint remover than to use a rough paint remover (I used a 3M brand paint and light rust remover) Worked great, but gave me a little too much extra sanding to get it all smooth again.

You just removed it, and then Sanded it????

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
riverrattcom said:
You just removed it, and then Sanded it????
Not just sanded.. if it were only that easy :)

Here's the abridged instructions

1) Remove the pulley from the wheel (follow HD maintenance manual instructions)

2) Remove the paint (I used a 3M paint and light rust remover - but I would reccomend some sort of chemical remover that is non-abrasive if I did this again)

3) Wet sand with 400 grit and smooth out the rough spots on the "spokes" (things like casting flash left over from the diecast process)

4) Wet sand with 600 to smooth out the rough spots from the 400 grit

5) Wet sand with 800 to smooth out the rough spots from the 600 grit

6) Wet sand with 1500 to smooth out the rough spots from the 800

7) Wet sand with 2000 to smooth out the rough spots from the 1500

8) Use a Buffing wheel (I used Craftsman buffing kit that came with 4 colors of compond) to get the final finish.

Make sure when you are sanding that you avoid going back and forth in the same pattern, you need to keep changing directions to prevent streaks or grooves from forming.

I think if I didn't use the 3M paint remover, I could have started sanding with either 600 or 800.

The end finish look will be directly related to how long you want to spend sanding and polishing... I took about 6 hours. Looks great, but if you look close enough, you can see some spots that could use some more attention.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Whew! Allot of Sanding!

6 hours work compared to 300 Chrome pulley.
Hmmm, I will have to think about it.

Great job by the Way :thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts