Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK... so Sunday was my first time installing wheel bearing after getting the wheel powdercoated. I use the freezing bearing method and tap them in with large socket. everything was fine until i am done, and notice the bearing has significant recess, maybe about 5mm from the pocket lip. i notice that i cant turn the inside race with my finger, it seems like the bearing seated too tight against the inner spacer.

so, is this normal, or am i **** up? if i have to do this again, how do i know when to stop tapping?

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
The inner spacer should keep the bearing from going in too far.

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The inner spacer should keep the bearing from going in too far.
that makes sense, but is there such thing as "bearing installed too tight against inner spacer"? both bearing has about 5mm recess.

... or i'm just being paranoid?

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
Mine had no recess with my stock wheels, or when I changed to '08D wheels w/ Harley's
proper mounting kit.

The bearing should be tight against the inner machined shoulder.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
Is your spacer inside touching both bearings?
When I changed my wheels, to '08D's, the kit came with the proper spacer for correct fitment. But, I believe my spacer was only a sleeve for the different size axle. There were no spacers in the bearing pocket.

How were yours Andy?

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is your spacer inside touching both bearings?
yes the spacer touches both bearings. hows your bearing sits, sonny? it is from the miller D. does you front wheel bearing position looks like this?

Maybe it's me, but that bearing looks too narrow hence the inset. Where did the bearing come from?
its all stock off front wheel 08D. I get the bearings removed, powdercoat the wheel and then reinstall them. I didn't pay attention of how it sit before it was removed, tho. this is the 25mm stock bearing non ABS.

·
Registered
422 Posts
It should be ok i am pretty sure mine was the same way the only way of knowing for sure is to install the wheel with the spacers if there is no space between the inside of the fork and the spacer then you are good if there is a big gap on both sides of the spacer and the forks then i would have different spacers made but it should fit ok i dont think that you will have a problem if you do send me a pm.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Just went out in the garage to check the spacing of the bearing in the front wheel it is the same as yours you are good. My bearing sits in about 5mm same as your picture. Hope that was helpful.

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just went out in the garage to check the spacing of the bearing in the front wheel it is the same as yours you are good. My bearing sits in about 5mm same as your picture. Hope that was helpful.
that was really helpful! thanks a lot sonny! :D

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
The sleeves and the spacers are cut from the same stock to fit both the 1 in. and 25 mm axles.

The bearings will load the inner race against the inner sleeve.

The bearing will be all the way into the pocket.

There should not be a recess like yours. I could be wrong...been wrong before.

If this is a 08 D wheel bought from moco the wheel kit should work.

If this is a older 08D wheel that was machined then you need to get the older bearings and spacers and sleeve.

When tapping the bearing into the pocket a listen to the sound when the bearing bottoms out it will change to a thud sound instead of the ringing sound.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
yes the spacer touches both bearings. hows your bearing sits, sonny? it is from the miller D. does you front wheel bearing position looks like this?

its all stock off front wheel 08D. I get the bearings removed, powdercoat the wheel and then reinstall them. I didn't pay attention of how it sit before it was removed, tho. this is the 25mm stock bearing non ABS.
The bearing for the 25 mm front axle is only 15 mm deep. The bearing for the 1 inch front axle is 22 mm deep. Both bearings have a 52 mm OD so you could misinstall the narrow bearing in the hole for the wider bearing very easily. The wheels are different between '07 and '08 due to the difference in bearings. I think this is the source of your problem. The inner spacers will differ between the 25 mm axle and the 1 inch axle too.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
My wheel bearings are flush with the wheel hub, not recessed the way the photo shows. That is an incorrect installation.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
The bearing for the 25 mm front axle is only 15 mm deep. The bearing for the 1 inch front axle is 22 mm deep. Both bearings have a 52 mm OD so you could misinstall the narrow bearing in the hole for the wider bearing very easily. The wheels are different between '07 and '08 due to the difference in bearings. I think this is the source of your problem. The inner spacers will differ between the 25 mm axle and the 1 inch axle too.
This is what i was thinking too. Just from the scale of your picture the installed bearing looked too narrow.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
The sleeves and the spacers are cut from the same stock to fit both the 1 in. and 25 mm axles.

The bearings will load the inner race against the inner sleeve.

The bearing will be all the way into the pocket.

There should not be a recess like yours. I could be wrong...been wrong before.

If this is a 08 D wheel bought from moco the wheel kit should work.

If this is a older 08D wheel that was machined then you need to get the older bearings and spacers and sleeve.

When tapping the bearing into the pocket a listen to the sound when the bearing bottoms out it will change to a thud sound instead of the ringing sound.

Hope this helps.

:D

As stated above the wheel kit will work with your stock 1 inch axle.

Should have the correct bearings in it.

Double check to make sure.

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Didn't you say that the axle race did not roll? If so, you need new bearings anyway. Get the kit like stated above!

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sorry if i wasn't clear before. this is the front wheel from 2008 D. I am installing it back to my 08D (I have 2 bikes).

I get the bearing and sleeve taken out, powdercoat the wheel, and put the same bearing and sleeve back. so, i dont see why i need to buy kit as they were fine before taken out.

I cant remember how it looks (i.e. how the bearing sits) before they were taken out from the wheel. Sonny confirms his front bearing setup is the same like me, and he has the same bike so I know I am good.

those bearing rolls fine before i put them back, so i assume they are still good. now, after i put them back in, i cannot spin the axle race (inner race) with my finger. i get the impression that the are sitting "too tight" against inner spacer. I know I am using the right inner spacer too (because it comes out from the same wheel)

when I tapped the bearing, i heard the "thud" sound when they meet the spacer. i tapped several times more just to make sure they are sitting right with no gap.

i guess my question is: after both bearings are installed, is it OK if the inner race doesn't spin using finger? is it possible if the bearing are installed too tight?

i still need to do the rear wheel this coming weekend, but i screw up the front one, i hope i don't repeat the same mistake again.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
one side of the inside of the hub has a recess and the other doesnt.not having that recess allows the bearings to be located by the one recess and spacer to locate the other bearing.you can over seat the bearing on the spacer by pressing to hard.if you locate the side with the recess and apply slight pressure to the inside race you will cause the other bearing to unseat enough to relax the tension on the inner races .dont hit the bearing.very slight pressure will be enough.there are two choices of bearings varing in width to suit these wheels.the outside spacers vary accordingly.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
there is one bearing that is installed first and seated against a lip. the other bearing is driven in just enough to get a slight preload against the center spacer.. too muchpreload or a loose center spacer will cause the balls to side load against the internal races and will fail prematurely.. the shop manual indicates which side bearing is installed first...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts