Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
V-Rod Addict
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've bought a chrome set of switch housings and brake & clutch housings? How difficult are they to remove and install? How long would it take to complete the job at home and at the stealer?

If it's an hours worth of work at a dealer I'd rather just pay the money to have them do it because it will no doubt take me much longer to do it at home myself.

Does it state in the repair manual how many hours to complete this job at the dealer? I've had experiences where the dealer will tell me it's taken them longer than I know it took them because I was there and saw when the tech started to work on the bike. Thanks...

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Motown_VROD most techs are like myself and go off of the flat rate system that is how we make money. Everything I do the time is determined by either Chilton's, Motor or GM . They do the job several times and come up with what they call an average. If you use a dealer make sure that they use a standard time guide and don't just pull the labor times out of thin air.

It will take you about an hour to install the controls and masters including bleeding time. I would describe the level of skill needed to do this job to be about a 5 on a 1 to 10 scale. The tricks are to never lay the clutch or brake lines down, if you hold them up you will get no air in the system and bleeding can be done at the master itself and will go very quick. Also the cable guides that go into the throttle handle are easy to lose or drop so keep an eye on them and go at it slow. Make sure on the throttle side to look close at the location of all the parts when you start. It has a piece of spring steel that holds the stop light switch in place that falls out, and the clutch shoe for the throttle lock will fall off as well.

Max

1 - 2 of 2 Posts