Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Adam
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got two days notice last week that some buddies were going to take an overnight bike ride this past weekend. Only about 650 miles round trip. That's not a killer ride, but enough that it makes my tailbone sore for a week or so using the stock seat.

My solution, I go to the dealership the night before the ride, buy the Sundowner which they happen to have in stock. I figured it would be a quick 20 minutes to take the stock seat off, and put the new seat on. Well... I was wrong.

Upon removing the stock seat, the pins just snapped off. The seat would not just slide out as the service manual says. So now, I guess I have a stock seat that is pretty much useless. I was pissed, but thought, at least the new seat should go in easy. I was wrong. I lined up the pins with the holes, and no matter how hard I pushed, the seat would not go in. TO finally get it to go in, I had to use a hammer and a screwdriver, to smack the back of the bottom pin into the bushing. I just knew I was going to snap the pins on the new seat also, but... finally, it went in. Took me an hour for the whole process.

I have to say though, that the ride was awesome and I love the comfort of the seat. I was the only guy on the trip that wasn't sore when we got home. I had no pain in my tailbone, and I wasn't even tired of sitting. It's a great seat in my opinion as far as comfort.

I don't think it looks as good as the stock seat. My plan was to put the stock seat on for around town, and swap to the Sundowner for trips and long day rides. Since the installation was a pain in the butt, and since I broke the pins on my stock seat... I guess the Sundowner will be staying on.

I was just curious if any of you guys had similar experiences changing seats. Should it be that difficult?

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
Never had a issue takes me 10 mins to swap my CFR to Sundowner. Sounds like a alignment issue if u ask me, honestly might have the dealer look at it.

·
LOS ANGELES
1,757 Posts
ohioVROD said:
Never had a issue takes me 10 mins to swap my CFR to Sundowner. Sounds like a alignment issue if u ask me, honestly might have the dealer look at it.
+1

·
Banned
6,735 Posts
What pins? The ones that go thru the hinges?
With the seat tipped up in the "open" position, the hinge should fit between them and then the seat slides forward into them. They are held in place with a plastic cap. I change my seat all the time, it usually takes about 30 seconds total, a little more if you have a grab strap to deal with. One bolt that holds the passenger pillion, the seat goes on by hand with no tools.
Got any pics?

·
Adam
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have any pics, but that's why I askd the question. It seems to me like the pins should slide in and out of the holes easily. But they don't. It's really difficult to get them in or out. I thought it didn't seem right.

The seat is open, I take off the plastic clip, then try to slide it.... no slide.

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
Awwww might have too much paint on the pins? Seeing that both seats wont go right this would be my guess. Again just a guess!?

·
Banned
6,735 Posts
It pivots up and down, but doesn't slide sideways?
I'll get a pic and post it in a few minutes.

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
Carl it slides onto the pins, sounds like one if not both have to much paint on them, am I right?:moped:

·
Adam
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's a possibility. It seemed like the pins were too large to easily slide into the holes. However there was nothing in the holes. I was wondering if it could be a paint issue. That's why I asked if you guys had the same experience. Seems like most of you do it pretty easily.

I guess it doesn't matter now, as the Sundowner is installed, and won't be coming off most likely. I just wish I hadn't broken the pins on my stock seat to get it off. :mad:

·
Freedom
614 Posts
I change the seats back and forth all the time without issue as well. You may want to check the alignment of the hinges that the pins slide into - perhaps one is slightly bent out of alignment relative to the other. Not sure how this would happen but would be worth a look.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I cant imagine whats wrong with that seat. I have changed out seats on three different vrods and never seen anything like that.

And I dont know what paint you guys are talking about...I never saw any paint in the receiver or on the pins.

·
Two Wheels Or A Prop
163 Posts
New Sundowner owner, I swapped mine in the parking lot of my work in about 5 minutes.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
In el pollo's defense I have seen some variation in hinge pins that can make them tough with some seats. Mine is very easy and I can change a seat in under a minute but I do remember one seat on someones that the pins were not aligned the same and they had a heavy coat of powder coat in them and the seat pin holes had to be filed out for a good fit.

·
Ms. Subtle
12,179 Posts
i dont see how it could move up and down and not side to side.. i am confused.. it would make sense to me if your seat was having diifculty opening .. but it doesnt seem that way .. i changed my seat out in less than a minute.. it shouldnt be a problem

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
louballs said:
10 minutes? what are you guys hung over?? shouldn't take more than 5. if it was that much trouble, something is wrong with how you did or the seat.

The seat alone takes maybe 5 mins but by the time u add the back rest pad and center strap the time adds up. Its not like I am performing a Formula 1 pitstop here. Sorry next time I will time myself. :spank:

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
mine is one that slides very easily.. i can swap between my aw seat and my dx seat in around 1 minutes as well!

·
Carbon Yeti
4,598 Posts
Takes 10 minutes if you have a smoke and a beer between removal and installation. So, it takes me 10 minutes. That includes the passenger seat.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Could it be an issue of mismatched Sundowner model with bike? Should be Item# 53432, not 51030 (for Rs), and not 51778 (for '07s and newer).

:them: Only takes me a few minutes to switch seats, too.

·
Safe and sound
4,589 Posts
When you open and close the seat does it move freely. Sounds like the part that the pins slide into has been collapsed somehow. Did you smack it with your hammer by accident maybe?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts