Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the price of a new set of Harley sport bags is on the high side, I have been looking for a used set. I came across an ad for a used set for sale by “Curley” in Austin, TX on this forum.

As has happened to others when buying a used set of bags and mounts, one critical piece was missing. This is the bracket that mounts to the rear of the shock bolt and also to the front part of the side bracket. After talking with Curley, as I expected, he had not originally installed the bags so he did not know that this piece was part of the kit. To complicate things further, he was having his V-Rod converted to a three wheeler 180 miles away.

After many e-mails and a few phone conversations, I decided that I needed to fabricated these parts. For a complete story on the installation and making the parts, please go to my blog at: http://jerryforthofer.wordpress.com/2011/01/12/installed-sport-bags-on-the-v-rod/

One of the things Curley did to help was to find the correct sport bag instructions for 2002-06 bikes. Don't be deterred by the statement on the instructions that they are for a 2006 VRSCD.

Attachments

·
Been there done that
1,527 Posts
Jerry is being modest he needs to post pictures of the bracket that he fabricated to replace the one that is missing. It is a very professional job from some one with great skill and talent. I am glad that Jerry was so reasonable and understanding and that it was a satisfactory outcome for both of us. ASK Jerry to post paintings of the studebaker truck and porsche his wife painted they look like photos.....thanks for posting information and pictures in your blog that many have looked for here in the forum.... curley

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jerry is being modest he needs to post pictures of the bracket that he fabricated to replace the one that is missing. It is a very professional job from some one with great skill and talent. I am glad that Jerry was so reasonable and understanding and that it was a satisfactory outcome for both of us. ASK Jerry to post paintings of the studebaker truck and porsche his wife painted they look like photos.....thanks for posting information that many have looked for here in the forum.... curley
Thanks Curley. Together, we figured out what had to be done. After seeing the brackets yesterday, you mentioned that I should post them here for the sake of others who also are short these pieces. Here are some photos of the brackets.

·
Been there done that
1,527 Posts
GREAT JOB JERRY and the posting in your blog is top notch also. curley ps how about some car painting posted also...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GREAT JOB JERRY and the posting in your blog is top notch also. curley ps how about some car painting posted also...
Curley and I had some long phone calls yesterday and we both learned a lot about each other's lives. I had sent him some photos of my garage which has some paintings on the walls that my wife did. He liked them and those are the car paintings he is referring to above. She normally doesn't paint cars and trucks but she enjoys painting just about anything.

·
Been there done that
1,527 Posts
Outstanding realism amazing paintings

THANKS JERRY for sharing they are beautiful and very special. curley

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I installed a top bag that I had had on my Sportster to go along with the sport bags.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
Beautiful paintings. Your wife is very talented!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
5 Posts
Jerry, Your wife sell prints of her art work? I'd be most interested in buying a few as most on this board would as well I imagine! ~Frank

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jerry, Your wife sell prints of her art work? I'd be most interested in buying a few as most on this board would as well I imagine! ~Frank
Yes, she does. We have a printer that prints museum quality giclee prints with inks that will last 80-100 years so the prints won't fade during our lifetimes. She can print in various sizes so the best way to get a price is to contact her directly.

[email protected] or 704-657-8321

www.tanglewoodbrushstrokes.com

Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts