Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I've my service manual out. Got the airbox cover off and the top. In the bottom of the airbox, I find a rubber/plastic plug that's about 1.25" wide, just sitting there looking like it will rattle around. Is this supposed to be in the HOLE on the right-hand side, towards the front of the airbox bottom? It fits in there.

The service manual doesn't mention unscrewing the bolts on the bottom of the airbox that hold it on. Guess you're just supposed to know that, right, since it's so obvious? Crash just left for Sears to get the correct-size somethings to unscrew those little babies - we couldn't do it with the allen wrenches we've got by hand. Sears is having a sale on tools, luckily.

Christine, I'm already not following your advice - haven't labeled anything but am laying it on the floor (on a cloth) in the order I'm taking the stuff out.

If it's this hard to get to the battery, how much fun will it be to change the oil?

Val

·
If You Ain't Cav...
2,069 Posts
Val,
I truly enjoy your "sticktoidivness!" Most people aren't even willing to try! One thing to consider vs labeling things is with the convenience of digital photos, take a couple of shots at every major intersection. Then if there is a problem, look at the photos. Delete them when your done! The laying of parts in order off to the side like you are doing will also help in re-installation. Just work backward through the parts! Lots better than piling up the pieces in the fuel cap reservoir like I usually do!

Keep Wrenching.... with practice comes confidence, with confidence comes expertise!

Mike

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Mike! Now I need a simple/inexpensive digital camera for this purpose and others, especially since the fancy ones we have around the house are never available when I need them!

Sure was glad I got the gloves installed. Was out riding with the ladies from about 8:30 this morning until near 4:00 and it was COLD!!! The gloves worked, the bike didn't explode and nothing fell off it, so I guess I didn't hurt it with my first attempt here.

Whew!

Val

1 - 4 of 4 Posts