Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Liqwid Rider
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry some of the pix are blurry, it was hard to tell when I was taking them. You can still tell what to do though.

Prep: I would suggest that before you put the hose clamp on, you slip the bracket and cover on the brake assembly so that you can see how it is SUPPOSED to fit. Makes it much easier to know what the end result should look and feel like. The instructions say to remove the radiator shroud, but you can just take out the bottom screw (T27; must do to access bottom 2 screws of the new cover) but there was no need to totally remove the shroud, just so it can be moved out of the way when needed.

NOTE: I have the 16GA Screaming Eagle pipes. Maybe with the stock header pipes you will have more room to maneuver.

Picture#1: First, simply install the chrome banjo bolt cover with the provided set screw. Easy.

Picture#2: After you have opened the clamp and slipped it over, wedge the bottom part of the clamp between the gray frame extension and the brake assembly. Note that I put the screw part of the clamp at the top for ease of access for now. It will have to be moved in the next step.

Picture#3: Take up most of the slack in the hose clamp and then position the screw portion to the rear. You will only be able to tighten it with a 3mm allen wrench after this. This position is the only way I could get the cover on. With the hose clamp in an easy-to-tighten location (like facing towards the front), the cover hits the hose clamp screw assembly. It must be positioned to the rear so that as you take up the rest of the clamp slack for final tightening, the hose clamp will be below the upper part of the bracket.

Picture#4: Position the bracket and then finish tightening the hose clamp (this is where it helps to have put the bracket and cover on to check position/feel before installing the hose clamp). Note that the hose clamp has moved down below the bracket level now.

Picture#5: Put the chrome cover over the bracket, align the holes with the nuts on the bracket and install the provided 7mm screws. I had a very difficult time with the single screw on the top of the bracket; not much clearance between the chrome cover and the exhaust pipes. I put the bottom 2 screws in loosely and then the top last.

See my other thread for the completed picture:
http://www.v-rodforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5124

All in all, not very hard. It was just frustrating to figure out a position for the hose clamp to fit under the chrome cover. Thought it would take 15 minutes; it took about an hour. That included stopping to the get the camera once I figured out it was going to take some positioning to fit under the cover. Hope this helps!

Attachments

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
Thanks. I just did mine - a couple of notes I'd like to add:

1) A 7mm combination wrench makes fast work of the bolts that hold the chrome cover to the bracket. Looking at it, I can't see any way of getting in there with a socket. 7mm is smaller than most folks have in their collection of wrenches, so if you buy the cover, you might want to stop at the hardware store on the way home to pick up this smaller size.

2) I'm a little concerned about the set-screw that holds the banjo bolt cover in place. I see that it comes supplied with some threadlocker pre-applied, but since this setscrew is the only thing holding the cover on against gravity, you might want to clean off the threads and put on some fresh blue stuff. In this application, Loctite suggests adding threadlocker to both the tapped hole and the setscrew for maximum strength. Maybe this is being somewhat anal on my part - but I'm not in the mood to add to the collection of "Arizona Road Jewelry" decorating our nation's highways. The setscrew is 2.5mm - not a problem, since this size is included in most metric hex key sets - but then so is the 3mm size, which H-D includes with the kit to secure the hose clamp. Why they give you one size but not the other is beyond me.

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
Thanks for the post! :)

·
Liqwid Rider
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
vroddrew said:
A 7mm combination wrench makes fast work of the bolts that hold the chrome cover to the bracket.
Yep, that's what I used too. I mentioned they were 7mm in my original post, but forgot to mention that socket won't fit.

·
Liqwid Rider
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
vroddrew said:
I'm a little concerned about the set-screw that holds the banjo bolt cover in place. I see that it comes supplied with some threadlocker pre-applied, but since this setscrew is the only thing holding the cover on against gravity, you might want to clean off the threads and put on some fresh blue stuff. In this application, Loctite suggests adding threadlocker to both the tapped hole and the setscrew for maximum strength.
Good idea. I'm going to do that and on my front axle nut covers too (same deal, just a set screw to hold them on).

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up on the 7mm wrench idea. Just finished putting the cover on. Didn't need to loosen the radiator shroud at all. However, I tried to start it to move it, but now have a dead battery...

·
Registered
132 Posts
a 9/32" will work also. I had one of those but I didn't have a 7mm. I had to do a little grinding to get it to clear the engine guard mount. Sure didn't won't to but couldn't get it to fit without grinding a little off the front edge.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I also had to use a grinder on the master cylinder cover to round off the square corner of the top-front corner in order to get the top screw hold to line up properly. The weld bead from the frame to the brake pedal tube was hitting the square corner of the bracket. Came out fine.

·
AMF
423 Posts
Just got done installing this as well. One note, I found it much easier to install the clamp on the bracket with the master cylinder loose. I could not get the clamp around the bracket and under the master cylinder mount without doing this. Also, I did not need to loosen the radiator shroud at all.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Just wanted to thank you guys for your posts on the installation of this part. I spent a little over 30 minutes trying to line the screws up first. Then thought about coming upstairs to see if anyone had posted a "How-To" on this install. Sure enough... read through the thread and had the sucker on in 5 minutes...

I love this place!!! :plause: :cheers:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts