Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought the TAB Nightrod Slashcut Pipes (with baffles) for my bike and they showed up yesterday... but I'm still waiting for the power commander to get here on Thursday.... me being excitable as I am, I decide to get busy installing the pipes so that as soon as the power commander gets here, I can have it put in and dyno'd and boom I'm outta there...

A couple things that upset me about the install... originally the footpeg on the exhaust side has a bracket that connects to the slipons.... so whenever you change to what I put on, you just have this huge metal peice hanging down that doesnt connect to anything anymore... quite distracting (to me) so I took my footpegs off and that fixed that for now until I can find me some new footpegs to put on there that doesnt look so crappy.

Also... there is a really long bar that goes from about the middle of the bike to where the rear of the stock slipons end to support all that heavy ass weight... with the new slipons tho, there is no place to connect that bar to the pipes... so another eyesore... when you look to see if you can take the bar off, you see it's connected with the support for the pipes before the brackets... so taking that off screws your whole setup.... so that's still on and I'm debating on cutting that bastard off...

Anyway, just curious who else have had these issues and what you've done to resolve them... I know you guys are prolly as picky if not more than me about this stuff, so I'm sure you found the same eyesores as me.

But on a positive note.... that bike sounds f'ing mean... I made sure to get the pipes with baffles so my neighbors wouldnt hire a hitman to assassinate me, and it appears that may still end up happening because they definitely put out some noise.... way louder than I expected.... but I cant say I'm upset about it....

Will post pics soon... and thanks for any help anyone can offer!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Post pictures when you can..they told me at Republic today that my bike will be ready in two weeks, I wont hold my breath for that though.. What Im looking forward to is Im not putting stock pipes back on, insurance is paying for stock pipes but Im puttin in Fat Cat D & D 2 to 1, with a Power Commander..I just have to pay the difference..cant wait.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,397 Posts
:worthless
 

·
Retired Devil Dog
Joined
·
148 Posts
You never know when you may need to throw the stock pipes back on quickly (warranty work). I left my stock brackets alone, doesn't bother me though........DC
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,923 Posts
have a look in my gallery,i made a bracket that replaces the original exhaust hanger weighs around 2oz instead of 5lbs.but the original one can be put back on if it ever becomes necessary.
 

·
I'm 'avin hoops
Joined
·
695 Posts
KemahNightrod said:
So I bought the TAB Nightrod Slashcut Pipes (with baffles) for my bike and they showed up yesterday... but I'm still waiting for the power commander to get here on Thursday.... me being excitable as I am, I decide to get busy installing the pipes so that as soon as the power commander gets here, I can have it put in and dyno'd and boom I'm outta there...

A couple things that upset me about the install... originally the footpeg on the exhaust side has a bracket that connects to the slipons.... so whenever you change to what I put on, you just have this huge metal peice hanging down that doesnt connect to anything anymore... quite distracting (to me) so I took my footpegs off and that fixed that for now until I can find me some new footpegs to put on there that doesnt look so crappy.

Also... there is a really long bar that goes from about the middle of the bike to where the rear of the stock slipons end to support all that heavy ass weight... with the new slipons tho, there is no place to connect that bar to the pipes... so another eyesore... when you look to see if you can take the bar off, you see it's connected with the support for the pipes before the brackets... so taking that off screws your whole setup.... so that's still on and I'm debating on cutting that bastard off...

Anyway, just curious who else have had these issues and what you've done to resolve them... I know you guys are prolly as picky if not more than me about this stuff, so I'm sure you found the same eyesores as me.

But on a positive note.... that bike sounds f'ing mean... I made sure to get the pipes with baffles so my neighbors wouldnt hire a hitman to assassinate me, and it appears that may still end up happening because they definitely put out some noise.... way louder than I expected.... but I cant say I'm upset about it....

Will post pics soon... and thanks for any help anyone can offer!
Ouch, just about to order some too!

Can you put some pics up when you get a chance?

Cheers,

Kieron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jimlowe said:
have a look in my gallery,i made a bracket that replaces the original exhaust hanger weighs around 2oz instead of 5lbs.but the original one can be put back on if it ever becomes necessary.
You made that bracket? Damn... gonna have to find somehow to take care of this though I dont really have a machine shope to make me something like that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kieron said:
Ouch, just about to order some too!

Can you put some pics up when you get a chance?

Cheers,

Kieron
I'm still happy with my purchase... just looks like there's a couple things I"m going to have to mod to make me happy... yup, said I'd take some pics... will prolly get to it today.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's pics.... I dont have the footpeg bracket with me anymore because I did the install at my uncles house (I live in an apartment) and I couldnt very well ride my bike back with the pegs in my hands since I took them off cause I thought they looked shitting with that metal peice hanging down with the hole.





Cant really see it from the side, but I KNOW it's there!

Does anyone know the best way to get rid of that bar and to keep the bracket?... apart from cutting it off that is...

Sorry about the dirty... f'ing rain...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ROFL, not to mention... now that my pipes are chrome, you can see a direct reflection of each and every LED... lol... despite the blurry picture, see the dots on the pipes? lol...

 

·
I'm 'avin hoops
Joined
·
695 Posts
Looks good Jonathan, so you went for chrome pipe ends then.

If you're not ever going to reinstall the original ends then I'd hack that bracket away or try and do what Jim did.

Can you see any issues with the noise and Police etc?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kieron said:
Looks good Jonathan, so you went for chrome pipe ends then.

If you're not ever going to reinstall the original ends then I'd hack that bracket away or try and do what Jim did.

Can you see any issues with the noise and Police etc?
I dont know about Police... issues with neighbors... yes. Definitely will be taking it easy with the throttle during the hours when the sun isnt up.

I may cut the peice off because I dont intend on selling the bike any time soon.. then again, I may want to take it back to stock look if I were to... or like someone said, if there are warranty issues I may need to put it back together... for now it will stay as is until I find something to do with it.

The girlfriend is pissed I took the footpegs off.... will have to finda replacement very soon...

Either way, was an easy install and I love the look... i wish they werent so loud, but it is kinda nice... very loud throaty noise.... changed my purring kitten to a roaring mutated tiger on steroids... still very weird for me since I've had the bike since last October and she was a quiet as could be... til now.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,923 Posts
KemahNightrod said:
You made that bracket? Damn... gonna have to find somehow to take care of this though I dont really have a machine shope to make me something like that.
have a go at it the bracket took around half hour to make all you need is hacksaw a file and a drill,piece of metal, ally,steel whatever,and couple of inches of tubing for the spacer.real easy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
I left my lower exhaust bracket just the way it was. Doesn't bother me. I'm not looking at the underside of the bike anyway. If you stand there from the right side of the bike and pick out things that you would like to change, then yes, that would come up. I only wish that I had the time right now to change or chrome the things that I see every time I look at my bike. As long as you like it that is all that matters. Look at my gallery. Sure, the bar looks out of place in a photo or two, but that's it. 100 mph and nobody notices !!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
Kemah, when is your dyno time scheduled for ? I wouldn't run the bike too much until you get the bike dyno'd with the PC.
 

·
Whig party
Joined
·
32 Posts
Todd for President

I hope everything works out to your satisfaction with the Tabb pipes. I believe Todd at Tabb performance has crafted the perfect pipes for the perfect bike. The sound from Todd's baffled pipes creates the perfect sound for the DX by far. The sound is low and thunderous without being audibly offensive to the general public. Pipes should add to the bike and not take away from it- and these pipes complete the package. I will use the long bar by the pipes to run some LEDs to back light the exhaust. I don't think I will be amputating any cold steel off the koolest bike on the planet any time soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
Looks good.. I left both brackets on when doing Cheatin pipes. At first I was bothered by them but I don't even notice now.

Now clean that bike and get rid of all the brake dust on that rear rim. :stilpoke: :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Was clean... stupid water on the road got it dirty.... been raining so much down here it's hard to do anything without getting the bike wet.

Well, even if I leave the bar there without cutting it i"m gonna have to get a new footpeg... that circle just sitting there with nothing in it pisses me off beyond all beleif... so it's gone... will have to start looking for a replacement...

The bike will get dyno'd Saturday... or at least that's when it's going to get turned in to be done... who knows when I will get it back.... I plan to ride a little bit on Friday but that's it... rain is preventing me from getting too crazy... so shouldnt be a big deal.

Cant wait til everything is done!
 

·
Slammed
Joined
·
68 Posts
Got new pipes too... no baffle

I also just installed new pipes from Tab the other day except I got the ones w/out the baffles... Mean sound... I thought it was loud as hell until two of my friends pulled up w/ their customs.... I've been driving it for the last 3 days and I do get off the throttle when I see a cop (just in case)...

As far as the bar underneath, I also didn't like it and was going to just cut it off, but you really can't see it unless your looking for it... If you never plan on putting the stock ones back on, just take it off...

fyi: I spoke to Harley direct and if you add Tab's fuel mixture it will void the warrantee... I know it's their way of having them dyno it, but it's better to spend 200 then void the warrantee.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top