Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the Roadtech speakers from the stealer for $100 and just put them in my Shoie X-11. I am very very pleased with the results. If earphones hurt your ears from the pressure of the helmet against them this mod is the $h!t. I didn't think to take pictures till I was done, but it's pretty easy once you remove the padding from the helmet you'll see what you need to do. I cut into the styrofoam lining of the helmet about a 1/2" deep to fit the speakers in, I made the diameter of the cut out circle just a little small so the speakers had to be pressed in then reinstalled the padding. They sound great and even have a little bass to them, no more ear aches after an hour of helmet pressure on my ears. The X-11 is worth every single penny they are charging for it by the way, it vents good, it's quiet and it has excellent areodynamics, even when turning your head at high speed to look over your shoulder. the harley part number on the speakers is 76530-07.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
nice! i have always wondered how well you could hear those inside the helmet at speed. I ride with some shure's and I love them, but they almost cut out too much outside noise, makes you a little edgy about whats going on around you.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought a crappy inline amplifier from radioshack that runs on 2 AA to increase the volume if I need to. With the X-11 I don't really need it, but the last helmet I had (a Harley skull, which is a KBC VR-3) I would have needed the amp to overcome the wind noise at highway speed. The cable that comes with the speakers is a little too bulky for my taste, I'm going to go buy a thin one from Best Buy to replace it. I had my Ipod EQ set to bass boost and I had to turn that off with these and set it to Rock instead, the bass boost setting caused distortion otherwise.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Are you sure this is the best $100 dollars you've spent? What about all those nights at those strip clubs?:D

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone from Dallas should know that a "really good time" at a strip club starts at $200. :stilpoke: (Or $500 with an avatar like mine)

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
mwdhand said:
Anyone from Dallas should know that a "really good time" at a strip club starts at $200. :stilpoke: (Or $500 with an avatar like mine)
same thing in fla... BTW

you just gotta know where to go.

$200 gets you 3 songs.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
$200 in Dallas gets you a check-up at the free clinic on Monday morning.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
mwdhand said:
$200 in Dallas gets you a check-up at the free clinic on Monday morning.
nahh... if you can afford $200 at a strip club on fri night you can afford to go somewhere else besides the free clinic :notworth:

·
Registered
246 Posts
The speaker in helmet idea is great. You hook it to an MP3 or what? I'd like to do something but I dont want a lot of stuff on my rod, uglifying it. Keep it simple.

·
Dragger o' Pegs
3,461 Posts
I got my iPod piped in through the Chatterbox. Just found the cord last night. Next step is to see if it is loud enough to hear over my pipes!!

·
Bike snob
756 Posts
What's the P/N on those?

·
Registered
25 Posts
200 at a strip club? thats crazy. take that 200 to a normal club buy a few drinks for a chick a little uglier than you and your getting some. and you will still have money left over for condoms so you dont have to go to the clinic. that is if your not too ugly you have to pay for it. then sorry. remember fat girls need lovin too and they arent afraid of it. most of them dont know when they will get it again.

·
Not 1 Serious Thread
12,942 Posts
mwdhand said:
I bought the Roadtech speakers from the stealer for $100 and just put them in my Shoie X-11. I am very very pleased with the results. If earphones hurt your ears from the pressure of the helmet against them this mod is the $h!t. I didn't think to take pictures till I was done, but it's pretty easy once you remove the padding from the helmet you'll see what you need to do. I cut into the styrofoam lining of the helmet about a 1/2" deep to fit the speakers in, I made the diameter of the cut out circle just a little small so the speakers had to be pressed in then reinstalled the padding. They sound great and even have a little bass to them, no more ear aches after an hour of helmet pressure on my ears. The X-11 is worth every single penny they are charging for it by the way, it vents good, it's quiet and it has excellent areodynamics, even when turning your head at high speed to look over your shoulder. the harley part number on the speakers is 76530-07.
ohhh! I did not know that these existed. I've thoughta 'bout trying to modify what I have to dothis somehow. I REALLY need this as my damn earbuds will not stay in my ears. Are you using it for an ipod?

·
George
5,411 Posts
Kelley said:
ohhh! I did not know that these existed. I've thoughta 'bout trying to modify what I have to dothis somehow. I REALLY need this as my damn earbuds will not stay in my ears. Are you using it for an ipod?
Try the Shure line of earbuds... a little pricey, but they never come out! I run them from the Mp3 player in my cell phone... don't even miss a phone call that way!

·
Registered
553 Posts
capngeo said:
Try the Shure line of earbuds... a little pricey, but they never come out! I run them from the Mp3 player in my cell phone... don't even miss a phone call that way!
I think I've tried about every combination trying to find perfect.
After seeing this thread I saw at the Apple store they had some very very thin over the ear headphones by Phillips, so I bought a pair ($30), cut them apart to remove the frame so the headphones are now simple wires between them, and installed them last night in my new ICON Legion helmet... The sound is fair, but only fair, and volume is lacking, so it's back to the drawing boards...

My Senheiser earphones are great, the bass is excellent and volume is great too, seldom turning the ipod all the way up. I did find that their earpieces are only fairly effective so I used the "Memory foam" ends from my set of Shure ec2's, which seal very nicely now and eliminate the need for a headband...

The best earphones I've found yet for me are the set by Creative that I just bought, and after fitting them with the large memory foam ends they are great, but my full face helmet is tight and putting it on I generally dislodge one side or the other, so I am looking for the best installed speakers out there...

How is the volume off the ipod unaided by amplification for you with the Harley ones?
How would you describe the base response of the Harley ones>?

·
Not 1 Serious Thread
12,942 Posts
capngeo said:
I'm afraid to spend any more money on buds. The Sony ear buds come in 3 sizes, as do the Shures. Even with the smallest size they are just too big for my little ears. I have to go with custom made/fitted buds or this helmet thing I think....

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I use these with an Ipod. The volume is good most of the time, bass is decent for something this size, it seems that some of the songs I pirated are quieter than others, the inline amp fixes this. I have tried the Senhieser's, they are great, expensive but great, my problem is that my ears must be kinda small or something. Every earbuds I've used have hurt my ears in my helmet after awhile due to the pressure of the helmet on them, and they always would get pulled out slightly when I turn my head or would pop out trying to put my helmet on. My X-11 is the quietest helmet I have ever seen, I would go into this project assuming you'll need an amp if you have a decent amount of wind noise from your helmet. The amp I bought was like $20 from radioshack and has an on/off switch and 3 plugs you can plug headphone wires into so your passenger can listen too if you want. I'm sure there are smaller better amps out there, but this on is just a little bigger than 2 AA batteries laid end to end, I would guess it increases volume by about 30%.

Here's the one I have, it's not the best, but it works.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...fier&kw=headphone+amplifier&parentPage=search

·
Not 1 Serious Thread
12,942 Posts
mwdhand said:
I use these with an Ipod. The volume is good most of the time, bass is decent for something this size, it seems that some of the songs I pirated are quieter than others, the inline amp fixes this. I have tried the Senhieser's, they are great, expensive but great, my problem is that my ears must be kinda small or something. Every earbuds I've used have hurt my ears in my helmet after awhile due to the pressure of the helmet on them, and they always would get pulled out slightly when I turn my head or would pop out trying to put my helmet on. My X-11 is the quietest helmet I have ever seen, I would go into this project assuming you'll need an amp if you have a decent amount of wind noise from your helmet. The amp I bought was like $20 from radioshack and has an on/off switch and 3 plugs you can plug headphone wires into so your passenger can listen too if you want. I'm sure there are smaller better amps out there, but this on is just a little bigger than 2 AA batteries laid end to end, I would guess it increases volume by about 30%.

Here's the one I have, it's not the best, but it works.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...fier&kw=headphone+amplifier&parentPage=search
that is EXACTLY what my problem with buds is. Guess you've got tiny ears too! :) Thanks!

·
George
5,411 Posts
If you go to an audiologist, they can fit you with custom earmolds foe whatever earbud you choose.... about $75

x-11 aside, most of the time with speakers, you have to turn then up so loud to cover the wind and pipes, you are approaching the damage threshold... Ear buds, especially good noise isolating ones will cut the db to your ears AND allow extraordinary sound quality. I have to wear 2 hearing aids from 20 years of fire engine noise.... it ain't fun! Take care of your hearing!

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I agree with you here, if you have them at a comfortable volume while driving highway speed when you come to a stop you will realize that they are actually turned up pretty damned loud. I was going to buy some hearing dynamics HD2000 pro in-ear headphones before I saw the ones I have at the stealership and decided to try to get away from all of the discomfort of having something in my ears all together.

Another good option if you want to look into them:

www.hearingdynamicsusa.com

$250 and they have to have you go somewhere and get impressions of your ears made.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts