Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great fun. Install not too bad on the 28 tooth pulley but I did have help from my next door neighbor who has been a mechanic all his life. I couldn't have done it myself.

RT is extremely easy to use. Too many things to be able to change though without knowing what you are doing!

Increased low end from the 28 tooth is great!

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Sasquatch, wht was the total time frame and what type of puller did he use on the output hub?

Max

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ketsugo,
I used the HD setup with the belt.

Max,
Time was about 2 1/2 hours, of course he was teaching me as we went and I tried to do as much as possible. This significantly slowed the process. I'll have to ask what type of puller it was, looks like it was just a basic puller which used 3 bolts to hold it in place while using a ratchet to pull it out.

Michael

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Thanks for the information Michael. It sounds as if a harmonic or even a large steering wheel puller is enough to get the hub off.

Max

·
Registered
61 Posts
HD 28 Tooth pulley

I Installed the HD 28 Tooth pulley, V-Mod SE slip on pipes and PC3R and the bike runs great almost like a sport bike (my other bike is a 2003 Yamaha R1).

It is a must for a bike with such a great engine.
:notworthy

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
I installed the Harley 28T kit earlier this week and the total time for someone who's familiar with the V-Rod and pulling and pressings gears is ~1hr including time to double check your work. I probably spend close to 2hrs if you count the time I spent comming up with all the tools and understanding what the instructions were trying to tell me.

I used a basic 4" 3 arm gear puller but the instructions show a harmonic balancer puller using 5" bolts. The gear puller worked great, it's not that tight. The bigest problem is rigging something to keep the flange from rotating while you loosen and tighten the nut @ 118 lb-ft. I rigged a large allen wrench with the long end slipped into a long pipe from an old floor jack for leverage. Slip the short end of the allen wrench behind the flange and into one of the holes then let the long pipe lay back over the hub to create tension.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree with mjw930 on the requirement for the puller. It came out easily. I also agree that the hardest part was holding the flange still but since there were two of us that was not a significant problem. The 2 1/2 hours included time to read through the directions, organize for the install, clean-up afterward, upload a program from the RT, and crank the bike. Just the 28 tooth pulley install if already familiar and some mechanical ability would probably be on order of what mjw states. Sorry if I mislead on the length of time.

I haven't been able to speak with my neighbor today so I'm still not sure what type of puller we used.

By the way, went for a couple hour ride today. Seems much better both in acceleration and not having to downshift so much in the mountains (unless of course you want to.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts