Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm in love with the new Vrod Muscle and like to ask if drivers of this vehicle can help me to make a choice.
I would like to ask input in a sort of list of annoyances/thinks to look at. The bike I've seen has 2500 miles and is from 2010.
I already read that the rear suspension is hard, passenger seat is not good enough, handlebar is not reachable enough and some people have also probs with the front mounted pegs.
Another option would be the Night Rod Special which is also available at the shop which has a larger handle bar mounted, so the
riding position is a lot better.
I arranged a test drive this friday with both machines and could go for the Night Rod but I like the Muscle more. So any help is much appreciated!

Regards, Wijllie

By the way my introduction is here :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Get the muscle. Looks better than night rod. IMO.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree but I need more input first from drivers. It seems there are a lot owners who sell this bike in Belgium with low mileage due to some reasons like the riding position etc.
I like to know all pros and cons of this bike before I buy it (and after a testdrive) :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I love mine. 2011 shinny black. I put 1300 miles every 10 days also from Columbia, SC to South Florida and back. All stock. I am waiting for someone to come up with a better seats. In the mean time I'm using a Pro Pad gel pad. I've had to stop every 100 miles or so for gas and stretch any way. There are a fews controls available from HD that I'm looking in to.

·
Premium Member
2,724 Posts
Really the biggest thing i can throw at you is there are a ton more upgrades and things you can buy for the Night Rod. The muscle is such a different bike, handlebars and such arent available

·
Gutter twin II
8 Posts
hey,

could do it in english, but that would be strange, speaking the same language and living around the corner ...

dus, ... muscle gekocht bijna 2 jr geleden (een vd eerste), en nog geen moment spijt van. Ondertussen 16.000 km's gereden. ikzelf 1m87 en ik vind de rijpositie perfect. Heb wel de voetsteunen omgedraaid zodat de steunjes verder weg zitten ipv te dichtbij in originele set-up.
Stuur te ver naar voor ? vind ik niet, kwestie van 'pose' op de motor. Al vele langere ritten gedaan en nooit echt moeite mee gehad. Er is wel een heel mooi alternatief (en uiteraard nog vele lelijkere) voor een meer rechtop-positie, maar kan niet op de merknaam komen. Kom er later wel op ...

Veel succes met je keuze !

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
err... 1.86 cm, no clue how much inches that is but that's not short ;-)
1.86 cm = 18.6 mm = 0.73" If you use a period (.) as a decimal point and to me that's short.
If you use a comma (,) for a decimal point then 1.86 cm doesn't make sense.

Maybe 1.86 m = 73.2" = 6' 1.2"

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have a 2009 V-Rod Muscle and I love it!! I'm 6' 2" and the bike fits me well. It's a great bike to ride short distance. I like to ride long distance and the only negative thing that I can say is that I have to fill up gas every 100 miles and the wind beats me up on a cold day. I'm buying a windshield and I'll be good to go. Best of luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all for the input till now.

@sztief; thx for the link, nice bars and a very good alternative!
De weireld is klaain eh! Komtdategenhie ;-)

@sztief & dun4791; good tip about changing sides of the pegs, will have a look at that when I testdrive it.

@V-Muscle; doesn't have the newer models a larger tank?

I still like to have more pros and cons about this bike (especialy the cons) or aren't there? :)

regards and thanks Wijllie.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I am the same height as you & the riding positiion is pretty comfortable. You are right the passenger seat is not very good. If you are going to ride 2-up a lot get the backrest. It has the bigger 5 gallon fuel tank but it only gets 30-40 mpg depending on riding style. Suspension is firm but not too bad. I put progressive 440 shocks on mine and much better now. Have not heard about many quality issues except the fuel guage not being too good but mine has been fine but I use the trop odo anyway to monitor fuel level. I LOVE THE BIKE. I hate the name though. :D

If you want the windscreen I have heard the one from H-D is a bit short for riders our height and directs the wind at your head. I dont use one.

Aftermarket parts are in short supply but a lot of the standard H-D parts like pegs and grips fit the muscle.

I don't think you'll go wrong with either vrod but I like the muscle styling.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am the same height as you & the riding positiion is pretty comfortable. You are right the passenger seat is not very good. If you are going to ride 2-up a lot get the backrest. It has the bigger 5 gallon fuel tank but it only gets 30-40 mpg depending on riding style. Suspension is firm but not too bad. I put progressive 440 shocks on mine and much better now. Have not heard about many quality issues except the fuel guage not being too good but mine has been fine but I use the trop odo anyway to monitor fuel level. I LOVE THE BIKE. I hate the name though. :D

If you want the windscreen I have heard the one from H-D is a bit short for riders our height and directs the wind at your head. I dont use one.

Aftermarket parts are in short supply but a lot of the standard H-D parts like pegs and grips fit the muscle.

I don't think you'll go wrong with either vrod but I like the muscle styling.
Thanks for the input, lots of good info :)

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
both the VRSCF (Muscle) and the DX have the 5 gallon fuel cell.
Best suggestion is to test ride one then come back here with your thoughts and observations.

·
Registered
61 Posts
muscle

I traded my 07 ultra last june for a new muscle, and have n0 regrets. I made more or less a touring model out of it, because I have a new DX coming in 3 weeks. Saddle bags, sissy bar and pad, luggage rack, engine guard, and highway pegs. I am 6 ft tall, so I swapped the foot pegs from left to right to give me more leg room, and they fit just right. I have put in 550 mile days on this bike, and the only thing I miss over the ultra, is the cruise control. Also i have a windshield, but ordered a (rifle.com) 4 in taller windshield, and it works great. In my opinion, you will love the bike

·
Registered
164 Posts
not trying to be a smart ass, but honestly buy whichever bike you like better. they are soo similar to me its just a matter of looks. unless you are below 4ft tall, then i doubt your height will be a factor on it or any other bike. as far as how long you can ride it, well as long as you want to as long as you can tolerate it. i have done massive road trips on sportbikes, so its just personal tolerance. i feel the muscle has newer options cosmetically such as the intergrated signals, inverted forks and the double pipe set up. however its still running the 1250cc engine and its still based on the same VROD platform as all the other VRSC products, so for the most part they are all really the same bike. with any of them you may require suspension tweaks here and there for personal comfort or riding conditions and they all offer mid mount controls even for the muscle now.(vmod.com part#VM-MIDF-01) the only major difference i can think of is that unlike the other models, the muscle does not have a huge aftermarket parts selection as of now, but i can say its better than its been in the past and will keep growing. so pick whichever one you think looks better to you or is the better deal because they are basically all the same bike from 2008 till now. 2008 was when the 1250 became standard for all vrsc. also its said that the small insignificant difference in TOURQUE FTlbs number and hp number between muscle and dx model (stock) is simply due to the different pipe set up .. good luck.

·
Powdercoat Maniac
1,018 Posts
HI

I drove the Night rod S for 3 years since 07
and now i just got a Muscle:notworth:
Hands down to the muscle, handling, cornering much better, 110X better mirror view and less black to try to keep clean, plus open tire witch i like, the only down side both pipes on each side, very easy to burn yourself, i am 5/11 got burn once dammit

M.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I did a testdrive today and I am baffled...

Not because it was superb but because I liked the bike so much
I almost bought it without testdrive. Now I am glad I didn't.
It's a good bike, no doubt (let that be clear), but the seat position for me was already painfull after 10 minutes. My knees seem to be in my eyeline and my troth was near the speedometer. Ok that's a bit overdone but in a way it felt like that. As suggested I could change handle bars, foot pegs, suspension and other things but it's clear that in that case you better look around for another bike instead of this one... Despite the fact that I LOVE the bike's looks.

Then there was the spouse factor. There was NO way I could convince her to take a seat on the back for longer rides. And I had to agree. A sidecar for her crossed my mind but that would kill the bike's looks and me with it. So with tears in my hart I have to let the bike go and better look arround for a Ultra Classic or something similar. Not compareable, I know. But we like to ride toghetter and after all these years I can't buy a bike only for me which I have to overhaul first to fit me right... No I can't...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts