Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Tie One On
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would happen if the fuel injectors were reversed ? I unplugged both injectors at the same time to disconnect my Race Fueler and when I put them back on I just assumed the longer wiring harness injector went to the rear cylinder so I hooked them up that way and ever since then I am having High RPM idle issue.

Can someone tell me if the injector with the longer wiring is for the rear or the front cylinder ?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hum, I have to look at mine, but Tie, in mine there is a little paper in each injector that tells which one is in the front and in the back. That is why I was not confused when I installed my cobra.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
... Can someone tell me if the injector with the longer wiring is for the rear or the front cylinder ?
It certainly won't run right if these are reversed.

The front injector has a white with yellow stripe wire and the rear injector has a green with gray stripe wire (both injectors have a yellow with green stripe wire also).

You should consider getting a manual if you’re going to be messing with the bikes connectors.

·
Tie One On
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do have a manual and I work on the bike all the time. This is just one of those things that happens every now and then with pullin 2 wires out that are (almost) identical and then woops, did I switch them when I put them back in. My idle has been running high so I am looking at all possible reasons for it.

Thanx for the wire colors, I will go look

·
Tie One On
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, they were connected properly, so the hunt for the high idle still goes on

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
there is a pipe on the rear throttle body which is blanked off with a rubber grommet .if that grommet is left off it will idle high.pay to check that.

·
Tie One On
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will look at both of these , thanx.
Here is what happened before this issue.
I removed my race fueler and cut 3 1 inch holes in the front lower air cover, then I installed a map with my SEPST fuel software.
When I started the motor it was idling high so I looked at the map and it seemed okay for the idle numbers. The next day I replaced that map with another and still same high idle.
Since then I have put 2 more maps in and still the high idle.
When it starts up cold it idles at around 2000 rpm after it warms up it drops to about 1500 and stays there.
Even when it is warm and I shut her down then start it back up in a few minutes like running into a store for something, it high idles again at 2000 for about the same amount of time as it does from a cold start.
I checked the idle rpm settings in all the maps I have loaded and they are all set at or below 1600 rpm for the lowest 2 temps and then they start lowering as the engine warms. They all show 1200 rpm idle at and above 110 degrees engine temp, but it never drops idle to anywhere near 1200 rpm.
It is running great except for the idling problem and I am just having a terrible time trying to figure this out.
Tomorrow I am going to record a cold start up and then look at it in the SEPST and I also will take it on a road run while recording after I look at the cold startup data recorded.

·
Tie One On
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Look at the Idle Air Control motor. Remove it and clean the pintle and air bleed port.
Where is the Idle air control motor located on a 2006 R model ?

·
Premium Member
5,718 Posts
Where is the Idle air control motor located on a 2006 R model ?

Same place as any other VRSC model :D.... it is in the rectangle between the two butterflies. If you take the top of the air cleaner hold down off and look between the two butterflies you will see it on the right side (when sitting on the bike). If you then turn the key on and switch the ignition to run you will see a little point come out and then reset inside that rectangle. You can spray some carb cleaner down there while it is running to try and clean it out (I've done this a few times and it works).

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
Make sure your cable adjustments are correct. Too tight = high idle.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
Make sure the TB are seated in the boots. This will cause a high idle if there are not seated properly or are cracked.

·
Tie One On
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The first thing I looked at was the throttle and the throttle bodies. Both okay

·
Tie One On
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Same place as any other VRSC model :D.... it is in the rectangle between the two butterflies. If you take the top of the air cleaner hold down off and look between the two butterflies you will see it on the right side (when sitting on the bike). If you then turn the key on and switch the ignition to run you will see a little point come out and then reset inside that rectangle. You can spray some carb cleaner down there while it is running to try and clean it out (I've done this a few times and it works).
HAHA ! The R model is so different in so many cases , when you own one you get used to looking specifically for R related pieces, parts, info, etc.

Thanx for the info I will go look now.

·
Tie One On
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just looked at the Idle air control and it comes out then back in only when I turn the run button off. Is it supposed to come out when the run button is turned on ? I will clean it in the morning and see what happens.

·
Tie One On
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I installed a 16 GA map today from the SEPST files and the idle is perfect. WTF ? I must have something in the other 4 maps that is really out of whack.
I really like how the last map was running except for the idle problem so I am going to start with the Map I have installed and start changes to it until I get to the idling problem again then we will all know where the problem existed.

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
Just looked at the Idle air control and it comes out then back in only when I turn the run button off. Is it supposed to come out when the run button is turned on ? I will clean it in the morning and see what happens.
That is the way it is supposed to work. Part of the diagnostic procedures is to verify this operation.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts