Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Land Pilot
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I'm headed out for a ride with some of my friends. We meet up at our usual restaurant for breakfast before heading out. As I pull into the driveway, the bike backfires like a mother under decel. So all I can think of is another issue with the Thundermax, because it's at about the right mileage where it starts to autotune itself into a state of disarray. So I bail on the ride and head back to my house (about 10-12 miles away) to reload the map and maybe even turn the autotune off. It backfires on decel the whole way home.

While I'm letting the bike cool off and getting my laptop out to the garage, I decide to check the bike over. The bolts on the rear exhaust manifold have backed off to the point they are loose enough to fall off, which really pisses me off because I check them periodically. So I tighten them back up, and load up the Tmax software. It has "historical REAR EGO" diagnostic codes - no surprise there since the air ratio was WACK going across the rear O2 sensor, and I'm sure the autotune was dumping fuel into the rear cylinder causing the decel pops. I reloaded the basemap to get rid of the shit settings it had for the rear cylinder.

My question - is there a chance I a) burned the exhaust valves on the rear cylinder, and/or b) scored the rear cylinder from all the fuel that was dumped into it?

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
I would not be worried about it. These are pretty tough engines. Excess fuel would actually cool the cylinder and valves.

·
Land Pilot
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ken... guess I'm just freaking out about every little noise coming from the engine now...

I thought the extra gas might help cool things off and I didn't push the bike hard all the way home....sort of drove it like a little old blue-haired lady on a bike.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
put a torque wrench on those bolts. Glad it was an easy fix

·
Land Pilot
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL, good advice and I did, but I probably haven't checked them in a while. Maybe my 50-mile 85+mph run last weekend loosened them up? I know it loosened me up...

I took it on about a 50 mile loop around town and on the interstate this afternoon and it seems to be fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts