Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Been awhile since I've been here.
I'm looking at an 04 B. Has a little over 7000 miles, screaming eagle pipes, ( not sure if slip ones or full system, hopefully someone can educate me, salesman said they weren't stock and bike is much louder than others I've heard)
Is at HD dealership and they had it in the shop working on steering head bearings. That work is done and I rode it today. Salesman let me take it out on interstate and it felt great. Only got up to 80-85, but was very smooth, but loud!! Much louder than my 13 1200 sporty!!
Price is 6000$, I'm going to offer 5.
Since they aren't making anymore, how long will parts be available? I know motor is rock solid, but always a concern if a certain model isn't available. Are there any questions or concerns I should have?
Love the bike.
Thank for help

·
EXCELSIOR
8,608 Posts
$5000 is a fair offer and decent price for a low mileage bike.

They're good bikes but are missing some of the later upgrades. Don't get me wrong, I've got two and love them.

You can find lots of good useful info here. It's good that the dealer has handled the steering bearing issue. It's common and directly due to lack of grease used in original assembly at the factory. Most of us have had to do this so good that it's not on you.

These are reliable motors which require little, infrequent maintenance.

They generally take about 10k miles to fully seat in, use dino oil till then at which time switch to full synthetic. Till that time you may notice a gas smell to your oil the first couple of changes, this disappears at 10k or shortly before.

There was an upgrade to the coolant overflow bottle in 2005, on early ones the coolant return line attached to a barb on the plastic cap. If you weren't careful during removal of the airbox cover this would snap off and dribble coolant on the bike.

It's easily repaired using hardware store fittings, it may be tough to get the later bottle if it hasn't already been replaced. The later one the return line went straight to the bottle and cap was replaced with a rubber one.

As for the mufflers, have they been modified? I've seen and heard the SE mufflers and while louder than stock, I've never felt them to be that loud unless someone has gutted the baffles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for all the great info. I think the pipes must have been modified. I've heard SE's and these are much louder. I'm not positive in that I haven't had a chance to look inside them. Do t know about coolant overflow, I will ask at dealership. I hope motor is as solid as my 13 1200 sporty. Had it since new and have put 15,000 miles. Solid as a rock. I am looking forward to bigger, faster bike with room for a passenger. Anymore info positive or negative on bike would be great.

·
Crash Bandacoot
1,434 Posts
My '05B has Screamin' Beagle slip-on's..just a tad louder then the stock mufflers but they DO BARK when gassin' on 'er...People say they sound awesome.

'Crewzr

·
EXCELSIOR
8,608 Posts
The coolant overflow bottle change is easy to check, it lives behind the louvered cover on the right side by the steering head. 5mm allen wrench, or 3/16" in a pinch, remove the one screw and the cover will come off exposing the bottle. If the bottle has a black cap then it has been changed, if it is a cap the same color plastic as the bottle with a hose coming off of it then it hasn't been changed.

·
Crash Bandacoot
1,434 Posts
As far as the coolant bottle goes,I had to replace mine also,it would dribble at the barb connection. Also beware of the stator wiring going into the side case. It would/will leak oil,one of Harley's f.u. design. The grommet that is a permenant fixture on the wiring cant be replaced so the fix was to replace the WHOLE stator! Why spend $160 for a new stator/cable for a $5 grommet??? The fix is to remove the cover the grommet sits in,and using a piece of light grit sand paper,lightly sand the grooves in the cover and grooves in the grommet and use a touch of RTV. Did that to mine when it started to leak years ago and have never had to touch it again.

'Crewzr

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.