Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
French V-Rod addict
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello !

I'll need a cover to store my bike in the garage... I found this one on the web.
Do soemone use it ??
Is it ok with hot exhausts ???

"The heavyweight 8 oz. cotton material has undergone additional processing that provides a softer non-abrasive nap. The premium cotton material is breathable to allow moisture to escape when bike is in storage. The cover features bold "Harley-Davidson®" script on the skirt, and both the cover and storage bag are accented with a silk-screened 105th Anniversary logo."

Thank you for your help ???
Fred

Attachments

·
1130cc.com PITFA
2,883 Posts
Unless there are heat shields on the inside, I would say no to the hot exhaust.
I don't cover mine until she's cooled down.
I use the cotton non-105th version, no problems thus far.

·
French V-Rod addict
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your help...
I'll try this one.

Attachments

·
Registered
254 Posts
I use an old bed sheet to cover mine... when its hot, I just park my daughters stroller next to the bike and drape the sheet over it as well to keep the sheet off of hot pipes.

·
1130cc.com PITFA
2,883 Posts
velsheda said:
Thank you for your help...
I'll try this one.
The down side with that one, it will scratch/rub the paint.
Most noticable on the rear fender.
If I have to put that one on, i put the cotton one under it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Kamots881 said:
The down side with that one, it will scratch/rub the paint.
Most noticable on the rear fender.
If I have to put that one on, i put the cotton one under it.
That is exactly what happend to mine after the first time I put it on. So I bought the HD 100% cotton cover for about 120 and put that under the other cover listed above. That black on the DX shows every little scratch!

·
French V-Rod addict
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot for all these answers...
Cotton seems to be the best choice.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I also use bed sheets. I let the bike cool some before covering, but they are very easy on the paint. Every month or so I throw them in the wash.
Much easier to cover the bike also.

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
wow....you guys must be made of money!..lol....

sheets work great,soft and breathable!.....I grabbed a super soft valour type material BLANKET,cotton breathable....over at walmart for like 12 bucks...i use this on my sled also,will be great for my vivid black paint,as it doesnt take much to scratch it....soft is good!...basically all we are doing is keeping dust off her...

good idea i like is raising her on a lift off concrete...also,a tarp under her,helping to keep moisture from concrete from wicking up...

dan

·
French V-Rod addict
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally...

I bought this cover with Adventure HD. Looks very smart.
Not sure it does not create or keep moisture on the bike...
Anyway, you are right, I won't use this cover so much because "out for riding !!!!"

:lick:

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
I kinda took the poor mans approach concerning the bike cover. I had an old nylon motorcycle cover lying around that I didn’t want to use on the Night Rod and scratch the paint. What I did was go to Home Depot and bought ½ pvc pipe (what you would use on your sprinkler system) along with 4 each 90 degree corner connectors. These 90 degree connectors is what you would use to connect 2 pieces of pvc pipe to create a 90 degree corner and attach a riser for a sprinkler head in a corner. I cut the pvc pipe to the length and width of the bike. I attached those pieces to the 90 degree corner connectors. This made a rectangle that was just the length and width of the bike. I then cut 4 pieces of pvc pipe to a height that was just above the mirrors. I then attached those 4 pieces to each corner of the rectangle I just made. So, this contraption looks like a rectangle kitchen table frame with legs. I didn’t glue the pipe to the connectors so I can take it apart and it doesn’t take up any room in the garage. You can glue everything together if you want. When I’m done riding I place this device over the top of the bike. I then use my nylon cover and drape it over the top of the frame and down the sides. This covers the bike completely and nothing touches the bike. I trimmed the down tubes so the cover touches the ground. I do not get any scratches on the bike because the cover doesn’t touch the paint and the cover doesn’t touch anything hot. It definitely keeps your bike clean and is cheap to make. The pvc and connectors cost about $17.00 compared to $320.00 enclosed cover offered in the J&P catalog.
Ed

·
US Cavalry
290 Posts
I went with an old flannel mattress cover (the sheet with the elastic band). It pulls nice & tight and I wash it evry now & then. Let the bike cool before covering, my neighbor learned the hard way!
Don

1 - 16 of 16 Posts