Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my motorcycle permit a few weeks ago. My hope was when I got done with my safety course I would then have my endorsement and be ready when I got my vrod.

I am looking at a Suzuki to buy to get some riding time till I get the vrod in feb.

My hope is to use it to get to and from classes since it gets 40mpg and my jeep gets 12mpg.

In indiana can you ride at night with the learners permit?

Also a paint question. The Suzuki's tank and fenders were painted and the paint is peeling from gas. What can of paint should be used to repaint it to avoid this again.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I don't know about the paint question,but google works great for me.

This is a copy and paste.
If you pass the test and pay the $9 fee for the learner permit, you will receive a permit that is valid for one year. It allows you to ride your cycle on public streets and highways. However, you can't ride with passengers, and you can only ride during daylight. Also, you'll need to wear a helmet and eye protection.

After you've had your permit for at least 30 days, you may apply for a motorcycle endorsement, which will simply be added to your existing license. You may achieve this by either passing a motorcycle skills (road) test, or by showing that you've successfully completed an approved motorcycle safety course. The following section will give details on how to do both.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought it was day light only. They are having a safety course end of the second week of sept I plan on taking. guess day light only till then. I have a monday night class, but I can still ride it wensday to my morning classes. Figure it will give me some highway riding before getting my vrod.
I don't know about the paint question,but google works great for me.

This is a copy and paste.
If you pass the test and pay the $9 fee for the learner permit, you will receive a permit that is valid for one year. It allows you to ride your cycle on public streets and highways. However, you can't ride with passengers, and you can only ride during daylight. Also, you'll need to wear a helmet and eye protection.

After you've had your permit for at least 30 days, you may apply for a motorcycle endorsement, which will simply be added to your existing license. You may achieve this by either passing a motorcycle skills (road) test, or by showing that you've successfully completed an approved motorcycle safety course. The following section will give details on how to do both.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Something hit me alittle while ago when googleing the paint. I found out wensday my college has a auto body shop with a new paint booth. Going to ask them monday about painting the tins and everything. They do auto work for the cost of the parts and no labor so hopefully they will paint the tins for the cost of the paint and maybe a few pizzas for the guys.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You might do some checking. I remember my high school princable told me her did not have his. I guess when they passed the indiana law he had been riding was given like a grandfathering in exemption. Might work for you.

I rode as a kid(12-4) and mine was a street bike. In fact I knew how to ride a street bike before getting to the age to get my drivers license.
i had my troubles, I rode mainly on gravel road :D:D:D mmm gravel burns. I was wrapping around a turn on the road and my brother and his pot head friends came around the corner and the drive was high and ran me into a corn field that was 6 foot tall.

A year later I was going across a yard and turned and got in a wet spot and dumped the bike. That was ok the TREE stopped me from flying around the yard. :eek::eek:

A busted knee, shoulder and a bad back later I know to be careful. Though none of them were from bike rides.
I admire your respect for the rules of the road. I've been riding street bikes since 1978. I, too, am going to get my license someday.

·
Premium Member
2,900 Posts
I admire your respect for the rules of the road. I've been riding street bikes since 1978. I, too, am going to get my license someday.
:D
It's amazing you've made it over 32 years and (I assume) have not been pulled over for anything. When I took my endorsement class a few years ago I was one of the only ones that didn't show up on a bike. The instructor was a retired sheriff and he told them that he had a right to have every one of them ticketed. They didn't seem too concerned. They were only taking the class because they had ALREADY been ticketed for operating without endorsement and by taking the class and adding the endorsement to their license the ticket was forgiven.

I guess I'd never considered riding without proper endorsement because I'd be too worried that should something happen, my insurance might not cover anything.:deal:

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
:D
It's amazing you've made it over 32 years and (I assume) have not been pulled over for anything. :
When I was younger I never would have considered stopping. I laughed at the guys who would pull over on a motorcycle. No way to not outrun them. These days I rarely do anything to get pulled over for. I guess I finally found a benefit to growing old.

·
hitting the road
379 Posts
I am pretty sure in Indiana that you cannot ride at night with a learner's permit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts