Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

in gear or not

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This came up last weekend while riding. I noticed I was the only one in my group that parks with my bike in first gear. Very one else parks in neutral. I asked what was the reason for this and no one could give a good reason except that is the way it should be done. The only thing I can see is that you can look cool reaching over and starting the bike with out being on it.

I see many reasons to put it in gear. One you know its in gear so you crank with the clutch in very time (one guy launched is bike because he left it in gear because we parked on a hill and forgot... when he was doing the "cool" start the bike jumped on him.) I once saw a fat boy do almost a 360 on the jiffy stand on near flat ground, it did not go down but I never seen him move so fast and he said never neutral again. It would be the same as driving a stick and leaving it in neutral with no brake on.

How do you guys park and can any one give a good reason to park in neutral?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Mvette,
in neutral so I can start it and let her warm up a bit while I profile, .....I mean put on helmet and gloves. I'll park it in gear on a hill. But there's no rule that says you can't do whatever makes you feel good!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I do both, but have been trying to put it in neutral all of the time. Noticed that the bike needs to warmed up more with the S/E map.

·
V-Rod Addict
271 Posts
I don't know as it matters whether in gear or not . . . it's all about consistency. Without it you'll forget how you left it and the one time you'll try to look cool, you'll be trying to keep your bike from hitting the pavement as you watch in horror! I always park in neutral except when there's a pretty good slope.

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
scares me you remember that greg.... scares me more that you reminded me

·
Yeah, but what if...
4,714 Posts
I heard theat you should be in neutral, but it was a mechanical reason and therefore rapidly took the rear exit from my memory. Something about being better for the engine to not crank it in gear when you start, even with the clutch in. I did it for a while, but now leave it in first because the bike just does not seem real stable in neutral on the kickstand and I have small kids who know not to touch, but hey, they're kids and I have fish with better memories sometimes I think. I would hate for one to accidentally slide the bike off the kickstand and end up under it. More important to me than possible mechanical issues.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Your poll needs a third option: Both. Depending on the situation.
I do both. One good thing about that, you don't assume you know what gear its in and hold in the clutch all the time. And no, you don't have to be on the bike in either situation. However, I don't think standing is a matter of posing, its about having other things to do while the bike warms up.

·
Hooligan
416 Posts
I always park in gear, and always put it in neutral before I start it, AND I pull the clutch, just in case. (I started my Sportster in gear once and dropped it, never again!)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Neutral if its level ground. In gear if I need the extra holding power. ALWAYS looking for the green light before I hit the switch. That was a lesson learned the hard way on my old FatBoy, fortunately I was in my garage parked close to a wall so it didn't go far (or down) but it sure scared the hell out of me.

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
Always in gear. Just habbit I guess. Think my Dad tought it to me back when I rode dirt bikes 20 years ago?

·
Registered
62 Posts
In the garage: neutral.

In public: first gear.

Now my question is if it's bad to dry shift; i.e. place the bike in or out of gear with the engine off. Dane

·
Ironbutt
886 Posts
Always Leave it in Gear when stopped, Engauge Clutch and Start, twist throttle and I'm off :D:D:D:D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Always park in first gear, always GRAB the clutch as start my bike its an old habit, just like in a car, first pull the clutch the push start

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I always leave it in neutral. Don't know why, just what I do.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Neutral on the bikes and car.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts