Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my dyno sheet from today. In case it's fuzzy the numers read 122.43 hp 82.11 tq. The air was 98.42 degrees, at 29.93 in-HG. Whatever that means. :thumb:

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
Rick that is with the TT pipe?..... What's the rest of your set up?
Those are great #'s bro! :plause:

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
VrodG said:
Rick that is with the TT pipe?..... What's the rest of your set up?
Those are great #'s bro! :plause:
TT pipe, Topless, SE filter, PCIIIR, IAT located in the air filter cover, 28T pulley

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
I'll bet with a race tunner there is more, not taking anything away from you. just my:2cents: How do you like the pipe- fit- finish- burnt leg... ect?

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
VrodG said:
I'll bet with a race tunner there is more, not taking anything away from you. just my:2cents: How do you like the pipe- fit- finish- burnt leg... ect?
Love it, the dyno guy burnt his leg but I haven't burnt mine. I'm 6'1" so my leg streches pretty far. I've got a black header wrap coming.

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
:thumb:
Nice #'s
Now ditch that PC and get the RT. ;) You'll get more power
Also raise the lid :)
So I take it the low rpm prob is taken care of?
Was this on the same dyno as the Rineharts?

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
vrodvinny said:
:thumb:
Nice #'s
Now ditch that PC and get the RT. ;) You'll get more power
Also raise the lid :)
So I take it the low rpm prob is taken care of?
Was this on the same dyno as the Rineharts?
All problems solved, no I used the tuner dyno. It made 115 on the other dyno.

·
just a ghost now
2,719 Posts
There is no absolute guarantee that more power can be made with the RT. If it is dyno tuned properly with the PC3 and a smart tech, which Rick's numbers sure look damned strong, his combination is making max hp. All this Race Tuner hysteria these days, go buy a "Race" Tuner and your guaranteed a "race bike" with the max hp.........pleeease......."go spend another $350+ and you might get 2 more max rpm hp......"

·
Registered
885 Posts
VrodRick74 said:
Love it, the dyno guy burnt his leg but I haven't burnt mine. I'm 6'1" so my leg streches pretty far. I've got a black header wrap coming.
Rick, these are your words not mine :barf:

Quote: 'Your bike sucks man, I had the Rineharts on and it made 108RWHP and 79 lbs/Tq. I ran it toplss, SE Filter, Powercommander thats it. Maybe they can strech you out some so your leg doesn't burn, that looks goofy. I'd be ashamed to ride my V-Rod if I had to wrap up the header.' :rofl:

·
just a ghost now
2,719 Posts
Oh my......3 points for african paul. word for word.

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
polizzio said:
There is no absolute guarantee that more power can be made with the RT. If it is dyno tuned properly with the PC3 and a smart tech, which Rick's numbers sure look damned strong, his combination is making max hp. All this Race Tuner hysteria these days, go buy a "Race" Tuner and your guaranteed a "race bike" with the max hp.........pleeease......."go spend another $350+ and you might get 2 more max rpm hp......"
With the RT you can trim each cylinder indivdualy.With the PC you can't,unless it's the pcIIIusb.The RT will give more power cuz the individual cylinder tuning.

·
just a ghost now
2,719 Posts
Ok Vinny, so just how are you effectively trimming each cylinder? By seat of the pants or do you have access to a dyno? Are you adjusting air/fuel ratio per cylinder, monitoring A/F ratio real time per cylinder? not at the combined exhaust (both cylinders) out of the can I hope. No doubt perhaps a fractional increase can be had with the RT software, but in the hands of a highly skilled tuner, with continued access to a dyno, and with proper monitoring instrumentation. I've read enough posts of guys unable to find even a HD trained tech who can perform such skilled tuning, not saying there not out there, just very very rare. It is I believe the hype of having the "Race Tuner". In fact I also believe, the RT is detrimental in the hands of one who isn't highly skilled in such tuning, how many times have I read "just add more timing or add more fuel till it feels strong, or raise the rpm limiter to 10k, more is better!" Hell, the stock cams stop making peak power at under 9k. I have a good laugh some times......

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
polizzio said:
Ok Vinny, so just how are you effectively trimming each cylinder? By seat of the pants or do you have access to a dyno? Are you adjusting air/fuel ratio per cylinder, monitoring A/F ratio real time per cylinder? not at the combined exhaust (both cylinders) out of the can I hope. No doubt perhaps a fractional increase can be had with the RT software, but in the hands of a highly skilled tuner, with continued access to a dyno, and with proper monitoring instrumentation. I've read enough posts of guys unable to find even a HD trained tech who can perform such skilled tuning, not saying there not out there, just very very rare. It is I believe the hype of having the "Race Tuner". In fact I also believe, the RT is detrimental in the hands of one who isn't highly skilled in such tuning, how many times have I read "just add more timing or add more fuel till it feels strong, or raise the rpm limiter to 10k, more is better!" Hell, the stock cams stop making peak power at under 9k. I have a good laugh some times......
how do you know it's the CAMS that stop Making Power at 9k? ;)

·
just a ghost now
2,719 Posts
From experience....notice Chopper Steve's big bore dyno sheets, using the stock cams. His big bore peaks even lower, like 8.2k if I remember the exact number. More displacement limited by cam timing, intake and exhaust flow events. Every camshaft has a peak hp at a given rpm, that is why guys make camshafts with more lift and duration to move peak torque/hp further up the rpm range and make more power, more rpm, for a given displacement, automotive or motorcycles.

·
just a ghost now
2,719 Posts
Now using a power adder such as your nitrous, things change. Nitrous is concentrated oxygen, and some nitrogen. Has impacts on peak hp and rpm.....

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
You can also Vary the CAM TIMMING to adjust you power band to what ever you would like.The Limit is More in the Valve Springs Not the Cam Profile! :diablo:

·
just a ghost now
2,719 Posts
You can advance or retard the camshaft in relation to the crankshaft TDC, to impact the peak hp, develop more low end or top end power, but still, the timing and/or gross valve lift is in the camshaft or its timing events, not in the valvesprings my friend....

·
Registered
885 Posts
VrodRick74 said:
Here is my dyno sheet from today. In case it's fuzzy the numers read 122.43 hp 82.11 tq. The air was 98.42 degrees, at 29.93 in-HG. Whatever that means. :thumb:
With respect, the standard V Rod makes just over 100hp. Let's be generous & say 102.5.
You are claiming to have acheived a 20% power increase by changing the exhaust & adjusting the fuel map.
Anyone with a modicum of experience in tuning internal combustion engines will tell you that this is :bs: :paper:
Camshaft & pipe maybe, pipe only, no way.
Sorry but you are dreaming. :rofl2:

·
just a ghost now
2,719 Posts
Maybe he's not telling us everything.....not that any old salt racer would lie, just not share all the facts or changes...or maybe its that correction factor I spoke of in another post.

·
Registered
885 Posts
polizzio said:
Maybe he's not telling us everything.....not that any old salt racer would lie, just not share all the facts or changes...or maybe its that correction factor I spoke of in another post.
Don't worry, I'm sure all this will prompt a reply from the man himself! :rofl:

1 - 20 of 76 Posts