Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
reservation dogs
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The steering neck bearings on my '07X went bad, the ones in the bike from the factory were manufactured in Mexico, the factory replacement are Timkin made in the USA. Some poor quality cell phone pic's for your viewing pleasure.

Attachments

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I ain't sayin the Made in Mexico bearings are the best.
The greatest reason bearings like these fail in applications like the neck,is because they don't spin like they were designed to.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
how many miles on your X Joseph? Do you have a pix of the old neck bearing?

·
# 12/50 Ignite LE
2,913 Posts
And HD don't use much grease on the bearings either.
And H-D does not know how to properly set the preload on the bearing at the factory. And I purposely did not use the term "fall away" as that is the most lame attempt to dumb down a procedure that I have seen an engineer do. Too many variables affect the fall away measurement for it to be a good procedure.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
And H-D does not know how to properly set the preload on the bearing at the factory. And I purposely did not use the term "fall away" as that is the most lame attempt to dumb down a procedure that I have seen an engineer do. Too many variables affect the fall away measurement for it to be a good procedure.
I agree with the funky word and procedure.
I setup quite a few tapered bearing shafts every week.None that I know of are like a motorcycles neck.Some have a crush sleeve that will give a few specs on a couple of preload procedures.Some have solid spacers that require a starting shim,an indicator,some math,and a finish reading with the indicator.Some give new and used bearing specs,wet and dry too.
As with HD,and most motorcycle companys,squandering is of the most importance,so corners are cut at our expense.Corners cut,like not hiring bearing manufacturers to engineer a better procedure for the neck bearing preload in coordination of the vehicles weight and geometry.

I love technical redesigning and rengineering.
Scope out this brand new bearing idea that just hit the market this past Friday.
This design retro's back to 1983,and will allow people like myself to successfully offer a low buck,high torque input transmission with a warranty on low gear for happy customers and added profit in my pocket.:deal:
With an aftermarket treatment of the late 5 pinion planets and sun gear,we should be able to launch a 4l60 transmission similar to the Powerglide.Wheelies on the street from an automatic overdrive!
http://www.sonnax.com/announcements/77749-02K.pdf
http://www.sonnax.com/instructions/77749-02K-IN.pdf

1 - 8 of 8 Posts