Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,
I have been tinkering with my VRSCA since I bought it ('03) and have found that it seems that it has a combination of Imperial (inches) and metric (millimeters) hex head bolts. I am looking at buying some ball end allen keys and can't afford to buy both sets straight away -I will eventually though. Now my question to you guys is - for basic maintenance and tinkering what which set would you guys recommend buying first?

Thanks in advance

·
I'm With Stupid
966 Posts
benjamin_lucky said:
Hi Folks,
I have been tinkering with my VRSCA since I bought it ('03) and have found that it seems that it has a combination of Imperial (inches) and metric (millimeters) hex head bolts. I am looking at buying some ball end allen keys and can't afford to buy both sets straight away -I will eventually though. Now my question to you guys is - for basic maintenance and tinkering what which set would you guys recommend buying first?

Thanks in advance
I may get corrected but I believe most (if not all) of the original parts are metric while many of the after market parts are imperial. :confused:

·
Ryan
4,192 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
I have yet to find an imperial fitting on my vrod.

·
Ryan
4,192 Posts
V Ride said:
I can't think of a stock fastener that is Imperial. The only thing that come to mind is some of the multi-fit foot pegs that swivel. I had the HD Flame pegs which had an Imperial bolt on the end.

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
All of the fasteners on the V-Rod are metric, with the exception of those found on the brake calipers (pre-Brembo models, I'm assuming.) There are a few Torx fasteners as well (brake rotors, switchgear, muffler heatshield.)

For suggestions of the tools needed for light wrenching - look at this post.

·
Non-erator
9,795 Posts
You know... it doesn't really make a difference. Which ever one you buy, it will be the other that you will REALLY need when it is important.

(That said, go for metric. Things that are imperial are like the mirrors and parts that are also used on other H-Ds.)

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
mikep said:
You know... it doesn't really make a difference.
The vast majority of the Socket Head Cap Screws you will encounter on the V-Rod are metric, either 4, 5, or 6mm - these are the sizes of ball-end drivers you need. The only SAE size you will encounter is a 3/16" on replacement footpegs.

A couple of notes specific to the question, as it was originally asked:

The BEST tool to deal with many of the socket head cap screws is the SK Handtools Long-shaft, ball-end, hex bit socket. It has a number of significnt advantages: 1) The long shaft allows you to get at virtually every socket head screw on the bike, like those tricky bastards hiding behind the exhaust pipes and under the top frame rails 2) the fact that they are SOCKETS allow you to use a torque wrench when installing - prevent overtightening, etc. 3) ball-end allows access to screws with obstructions.

Take a look at the SK Handtools site. They do sell individual sockets, if you decide you don't want (or need) to buy the whole set. (Look for product 19748)

Buying SAE standard sized allen keys is going to be next to useless for the V-Rod.

·
Registered
661 Posts
If it helps, HD sells the v rod tool kit for $89.00, and JP cycles also sells a vrsc tool kit(forgot how much tho). I have the HD one.
In my garage, I have both metric and std tool sets.

·
Non-erator
9,795 Posts
vroddrew... That's like an Enquirer quote the way you edited my post. :)

It was a joke of course... followed up by a suggestion.

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
mikep said:
vroddrew... That's like an Enquirer quote the way you edited my post..
Sorry Mike - didn't mean to pick on you.

I guess I wrote a follow up because I've noticed a somewhat disappointing trend for people to give incorrect, misleading, or incomplete responses in some of the technical areas of the forum. Its a phenomenon that is not limited to the V-Rod internet community either - as more and more people add their "two cents worth" - the answers get less and less reliable.

I also make a a point about fasteners: I've worked on my V-Rod since the summer of 2002 - and I've never stripped a screw on it yet. But barely a week goes by without reading a tale of woe from somebody who has. Its not the only cause, but I'd wager that using "close" SAE size tools is often at fault.

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
I knew it was a Porshe design so I went out and bought a complete set of Wentworth tools. Cant seem to find anything they fit. Then i realized that it is also called British Standard. So maybe I need some Lucas electronics and positive ground. Yea just like my old 69 Triumph Bonneville. Anyone got some warm beer?

To answer the question many sizes cross over to each other. One is 8mm is 5/16. I have seen some cheaper tool kits have one socket labeled as both. Northern Tool is very good for that. A few basic tools and you can do alot of repair. I do recomend a quailty brand. The last thing you want to happen is round a hex key and the bolt you were trying to remove. Stay away from "Wow thats a good deal" 50 tools for 25 bucks. I will endorse Snap-on but any of the truck tools are good along with the profesional line of Craftsman and SK. Sometimes swap meets have name brand tools and even if broke most can be traded in for new.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Anybody know what size the brake pad removal screws are AND where to get one. I have every tool needed except that one socket. I believe it's a 12pt socket, I just can't figure out what size. I've been to 2 Sears and they don't have one.
Thanks a bunch.

·
Will Work For Mod $$
2,866 Posts
V Ride said:
Ever try to unbolt the nuts holding your TSSM with a metric open end wrench? You need a 3/8" open end or socket....and you need a 3/4" open end to hold the nuts on the lower shock bolts when you remove & install them...

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
mustanggt said:
Ever try to unbolt the nuts holding your TSSM with a metric open end wrench? You need a 3/8" open end or socket....and you need a 3/4" open end to hold the nuts on the lower shock bolts when you remove & install them...
Used an adjustable wrench for the nuts, probably why I didn't see they were imperial. I did note that pulling the line off the rear caliper required imperial.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
pull cord said:
Anybody know what size the brake pad removal screws are AND where to get one. I have every tool needed except that one socket. I believe it's a 12pt socket, I just can't figure out what size. I've been to 2 Sears and they don't have one.
Thanks a bunch.
I'll have to take a look...

·
Registered
298 Posts
pull cord said:
Thanks a bunch.
10mm 12pt

1 - 20 of 27 Posts