Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the wife says we can pull the trigger on a new bike and I knew I was going Harley right away and I've decided that a night rod special is gonna be the way to go.

How are these for longer road trips?

Are there easy performances mods?

Any common issues to be aware of?

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Nice machine and you can ride for miles at a time! I got mine off ebay and rode 1000 miles back to NJ in 4 days. Enjoyed every mile!

Lots of power mods to be had but I'm fine with 100 bhp plus at the wheel.

Biggest problem is uninformed dealers.

·
Registered
145 Posts
1) :vrodforu:

2)
Never trust the fuel gauge, use the trip odometer.
:them:

3) road trips - change the stock seat to the sundowner or another aftermarket. better for longer trips. personally i have the sundowner - longest i have done is make a 1000 mile round trip weekend and had no issues.

4) mods - depends on your level of expertise / what you want to do - personally i will change out pipes / grips / pegs other misc bolt on crap but i will NOT put on a turbo / supercharger / NOS or swap a gas tank without some help - i suggest you try to do as many mods yourself or with help from friends / forum members as possible. most dealerships do not seem to know a whole lot about the vrod.

5) issues - one issue you might think about - older models vs newer models - 07 & up have 5 gallon oem tanks installed - 02-06 have a smaller 3 1/2 gallon tank but there are a couple of aftermarket 5 gallon ones you can buy - unlimited engineering (ue) / ricks - lots of debate about which one to get. my suggestion is to do research and make your own choice.

the bike is a blast to ride and you will not be disappointed. congrats enjoy and have fun :dance:

·
'00 107" FXD, '07 AW
1,232 Posts
If you're buying a bike for two up long distance rides, it is arguable that the v-rod is the best Harley to buy; I imagine you'll hear most of the pro arguements here. I personally think it is a great around town and day ride platform but, having said that, it has more than enough power and weight to be a solid long distance bike once you've gotten it fitted.

·
Registered
878 Posts
:vrodforu:

I wouldnt buy a brand new one, Theres to many nice 1 or 2 year old bikes out there that you could save alot of $$$ on.

·
slave to the grind
1,188 Posts
I rode my '02 from PA to Sturgis last month it was more comfortable than expected. Having said that, I have modified the bike to fit me (bars, seat, foot pegs) and a touring seat is a must for long distance riding.

·
boredom kills
2,324 Posts
Welcome

You should see about attending a demo day (factory sponsored) at a dealership or trying to get a demo ride, if not see what you can rent from Eagle Rider. It sounds like you are new to Harley, be sensible, do not make an emotional purchase. Figure out exactly which model you want, and take your time looking for it.

Are you and your wife going to ride two up for long trips? Are you both physically big people? Do you fit on the V-Rod together? What is your riding style? Do you plan on doing group rides? What is your budget? There are a ton of great garage queens in the classified section of this website, some with aftermarket stuff that can be had for a song.

If you ask the same question on the the general HD, they would tell you to get a sportster instead of a V-Rod. Ther other HD's hold their value better than a V-Rod.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The V-Rod is categoriacally the best Harley Davidson ever made. Look at the classifieds here first then go to chopperexchange.com, pick up a low mileage used one instead of new and enjoy. Seriously the only consideration you should have is you and your wifes physical size. The bike is just to small for a 350lb dude with a 250lb ol'lady.

Good Luck!

·
'00 107" FXD, '07 AW
1,232 Posts
Welcome

The V-Rod is categoriacally the best Harley Davidson ever made.

Good Luck!
I've not ridden the XR1200 but it sure looks good on paper even compared to the v-rod. For solo riding it has, a few less ponies but, better cornering, lighter, less expensive, way better gas mileage if that matters and sounds better if you like the air cooled vtwin sound which most people seem to.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts