Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Diesel Smoke Tester
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.....I'm finally ready to install the PCIIIr....I think. I've read the booklet; reviewed the cd-rom about (3) times; viewed all the videos, etc. But....why the heck can't I just load a map I like into the PC from my computer in the house....and then..bring the PC to the garage and hook it up to the bike. Won't the damn thing hold the map I loaded into it and then direct the ECM to run the motor on that configuration. Why do I have to have the thing on the bike and have the key on etc?????? Am I missing something? If so....I guess I can buy one of those 30' or 40' serial (9-pin) extension cables to reach all the way downstairs. Who can help me on this?...I will deffer to someone who has done it recently for guidance. Thanks in advance. redrazor

·
Registered
154 Posts
you'll need a power programming module that has a 9 volt battery power supply to give power to the PCIII while loading the map. they sell for about 15 bucks in J&P catalog.

but i'm not the pro on this. my dealer installed mine but i think i could of done it myself. a laptop computer is helpful if you have access to one.

good luck

·
AMF
423 Posts
The PC gets it's power from the bike. It has to be plugged in and powered up to be loaded with a map. Funny how they don't tell you that when you buy it. sospolice is correct, you need an outside power source (sold separate) to power it when off the bike.

·
Metal Guitarist
5,201 Posts
redrazor said:
Ok.....I'm finally ready to install the PCIIIr....I think. I've read the booklet; reviewed the cd-rom about (3) times; viewed all the videos, etc. But....why the heck can't I just load a map I like into the PC from my computer in the house....and then..bring the PC to the garage and hook it up to the bike. Won't the damn thing hold the map I loaded into it and then direct the ECM to run the motor on that configuration. Why do I have to have the thing on the bike and have the key on etc?????? Am I missing something? If so....I guess I can buy one of those 30' or 40' serial (9-pin) extension cables to reach all the way downstairs. Who can help me on this?...I will deffer to someone who has done it recently for guidance. Thanks in advance. redrazor
you either need to take your computer down stairs (close enough for it to reach the bike) or get the battery power supply as said.
i was lucky enough to be able to get my cord to reach from inside the house out a window and into the PCIII.Or if you have access to a laptop you can just take the laptop out to the garage.My laptop did not have the right connections to use.But most of the newer ones should.

·
Diesel Smoke Tester
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your tips!! I'm trying to find a power adaptor at a resonable price, or a longer cord. No laptop at my house. There was a post about Radio Shack or Compuworld having the long cords. Thanks again, I'm putting it off for a few days.
Any photos of these "adaptors" would be great. redrazor

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
Drag the computer out to the garage and get it over.I did....yes it's a pain... but you'll be done and Happy!!!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts