Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to buy a 2003 VROD with 6000 miles on it. I have the bike picked out. What should I be looking for to make sure it's all good? Thanks!

·
Wore Out Woodworker
1,620 Posts
If you buy that bike and continue to visit this site my I sugggest another job. Because you will want to do alot of mods. LMAO :vrodforu:
Look the bike over and if you are not sure about the mechanicals take it to a trusted mechanic. But with only that many miles there should not be anything wrong unless who ever had it before abused the hell out of it.

·
The Hawk
3,895 Posts
Number one issue on that model is the fuel flange, do a search on here and you will discover everything you ever need to know about that issue. The clutch could be another issue if it was abused. Once you get it I would suggest changing the oil over to AMSoil and replace the brake and clutch fluids, then make sure the battery is up to snuff, if it is original I would replace it just for good measure.

Mike

·
That U in my mirror?
1,511 Posts
Visa....Discover....Amex....MasterCard....etc.$$$$$$$ Cha Ching!

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
driver137 said:
What should I be looking for Thanks!

Well I would say to look out for this place. Everyone pretends to be so helpful, but it's all a big front put on by the parts manufactures to bleed you of every cent you have. Take my word on that one. :)

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
You should be aware right now that there are NO Tshirts Etc.. from HD that promote this bike, there are a few REALLY UGLY FRIGGING SHIRTS out there from a bad Bleach job to a Hippy Sunburst that you would see at a Dead Show ( Nobody remember Altimont? Hippies, Bikers not get along?) and a weird one with Turkeys on it from Kansas (Or pheasants.)

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Check fuel lines to see if they're worn.
Front motor mount is weak on some.
Check pipes, pegs, and handle bar ends to ensure it hasn't been laid down.
Ask if fuel flange has been updated. (get shop receipt)

Hang out here. There's lots of information available.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I bought an 04 vrsca used myself with but 2000 miles on it April 1rst. Seemed the perfect day to buy that, but if not for this site I do not think I would have kept the bike... I had a fuel flange failure about a month after getting it and was frantic, until I found 1130cc...

MAX told me about the fuel flange being a known issue and armed with the information I found here I got the bike fixed under warranty at no charge. I guess that the experience and knowledge here helped me tough out that problem, and now this site is a regular stop for me, and has very much enhanced my experience...

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Get another seat cause your ass is gonna hurt if you don't from all that riding.:moped: :D

·
Not 1 Serious Thread
12,942 Posts
driver137 said:
Im going to buy a 2003 VROD with 6000 miles on it. I have the bike picked out. What should I be looking for to make sure it's all good? Thanks!
an '03 with only 6000? Nice, that seems low to me. Previous owner wasn't riding much I guess.

Here's why I'm posting here. There are 2 replies talking about an '04, this clearly states '03. Was it changed or were the repliers, not paying attention?

BTW: Welcome!

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Kelley said:
There are 2 replies talking about an '04, this clearly states '03. Was it changed or were the repliers, not paying attention?
I am sure some responders were blinded by the total perfection that is the anodized coating. :stilpoke:

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
Welcome to the forum and buy the damn bike already! Oh like everyone else says get ready to open the wallet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey guys. Thanks for all of the information. If everything goes right Ill be sitting on the bike and riding it home this Saturday.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts