Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I joined here earlier this year when I bought a 2006 Night Rod, but only had it a month or so and moved on. Yesterday I traded away my Goldwing with Hannigan sidecar and I took a 2003 V on trade with 5K miles. I know 2003 Rod's are a dime a dozen, but the miles are low and I'm in it right, so I may keep it awhile. It's got a windshield and hard leather bags, tons of chrome and so it'll make a nice rider for the wife and I if we're not going too far. We have an Ultra, also a 2003, for any distance riding we do. I like to keep 2 bikes in the garage at all times. I'd like to keep 20, but room and finances doesn't allow such. If someone comes along with more of a softail or FLH series, I'll probably trade it away, but until then, I guarantee you I'll be putting some miles on it and smile the whole time !!! For some reason, I do like this 2003 better than the 2006 Night Rod. I HATED the mid-controls on the Night Rod, always felt cramped.
I've had 2 Yammy FZ1 sport tourers in the last 2 years and they are a blast, but a bit too fast for this 50 year old. I can't stay off the throttle on those bikes and they just don't sound as good as a Harley !!! They are faster than the VROD, but some of that is the throttle on the V isn't near as "responsive (?)" as the FZ1 throttle. Meaning, you have to twist it alot further to get to full throttle position. I can have an FZ1 throttle pegged in about 2/3 the motion as the V throttle.
It's all good !

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Well, I joined here earlier this year when I bought a 2006 Night Rod, but only had it a month or so and moved on. Yesterday I traded away my Goldwing with Hannigan sidecar and I took a 2003 V on trade with 5K miles. I know 2003 Rod's are a dime a dozen, but the miles are low and I'm in it right, so I may keep it awhile. It's got a windshield and hard leather bags, tons of chrome and so it'll make a nice rider for the wife and I if we're not going too far. We have an Ultra, also a 2003, for any distance riding we do. I like to keep 2 bikes in the garage at all times. I'd like to keep 20, but room and finances doesn't allow such. If someone comes along with more of a softail or FLH series, I'll probably trade it away, but until then, I guarantee you I'll be putting some miles on it and smile the whole time !!! For some reason, I do like this 2003 better than the 2006 Night Rod. I HATED the mid-controls on the Night Rod, always felt cramped.
I've had 2 Yammy FZ1 sport tourers in the last 2 years and they are a blast, but a bit too fast for this 50 year old. I can't stay off the throttle on those bikes and they just don't sound as good as a Harley !!! They are faster than the VROD, but some of that is the throttle on the V isn't near as "responsive (?)" as the FZ1 throttle. Meaning, you have to twist it alot further to get to full throttle position. I can have an FZ1 throttle pegged in about 2/3 the motion as the V throttle.
It's all good !
Get it to around 4-5000 rpm or so and than twist it hard! LOL!

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
28th front sprocket and a good fine tune using a dyno will take most of that laziness away.After that,the best thing is to keep the rpms up.about half way through second and all the way up to past 8500 in 3rd 4th and fifth is when mine really comes alive.I still run the 30th front sprocket.

·
'00 107" FXD, '07 AW
1,232 Posts
Sure are a lot of happy 50+ year olds enjoying their vrods and big twins here; as a group it appears we also tend to be happy enough with the image, limitations and market niche of each.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Sure are a lot of happy 50+ year olds enjoying their vrods and big twins here; as a group it appears we also tend to be happy enough with the image, limitations and market niche of each.
I've said it before, for an all around street bike it is very "respectable" in HP, acceleration and top end, great sound with the right pipe (a given), great looks IMO, and handles as well as most all "true cruisers". It can putt around town with ease and get relatively nasty at a flick-o-the- wrist.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Vambo,
You are right, it is a GREAT all around bike, except for touring, which is what I have the Ultra for.
And yes, it needs pipes. It came with Screamin' Eagle and they SUCK !!!
Nasty, tinny sounding pipes. Anyone got some deep sounding after market pipes they wanna swap?

·
'00 107" FXD, '07 AW
1,232 Posts
I personally think the v&h 2:1 look the best and I've been told 2:1 pipes are the best for performance.

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
28th front sprocket and a good fine tune using a dyno will take most of that laziness away.After that,the best thing is to keep the rpms up.about half way through second and all the way up to past 8500 in 3rd 4th and fifth is when mine really comes alive.I still run the 30th front sprocket.
Add in a blower or turbo and let the fun times begin :)...

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Vambo,
You are right, it is a GREAT all around bike, except for touring, which is what I have the Ultra for.
Nasty, tinny sounding pipes. Anyone got some deep sounding after market pipes they wanna swap?
Exactly, that's why I always say "street bike"!

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
Vambo,
Drill the plug out of the SE pipes and they have a nice sound.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I have seen this since I joined this forum,but Harley continues their futile attempts to expand to a younger crowd of people that just do not have their financial shit together yet.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I agree they will be looking @200 per month not pay it bike goes to sale cheap?Brings our values down:broke:

·
'00 107" FXD, '07 AW
1,232 Posts
I have seen this since I joined this forum,but Harley continues their futile attempts to expand to a younger crowd of people that just do not have their financial shit together yet.
I hear your words El Rod, and history has proven you correct but I'm one who believes that Harley can expand to the younger, less affluent crowd. Bargain pricing the XR1200, the superglide could be considerably cheaper AND corner better. If they'd have added ongoing development of the vrod rather than treating it like the rest of the slower changing technology who knows, for a very small risk, what can be possible.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I hear your words El Rod, and history has proven you correct but I'm one who believes that Harley can expand to the younger, less affluent crowd. Bargain pricing the XR1200, the superglide could be considerably cheaper AND corner better. If they'd have added ongoing development of the vrod rather than treating it like the rest of the slower changing technology who knows, for a very small risk, what can be possible.
I believe both you and elrod are correct. We have been in the harley market for over 30 years, IMO they are blowing it as far as the entire line up, especially the v rod. We are absolutley unabe to get any info on thier plans from any "reliable source" and we have a few. Recently a guy stopped by our shop who retired 2 years ago from the factory, he was a engineer with them for 24 yrs. He claimed to have been one of the guys that worked on the development of the v rod, and from talking with him i believe he did. He was indeed savvy but would not tell us anything too specific, claiming when he retired he signed a non disclosure agreement, so I was only able to get sketchy info on the future of the v rod. I personally think they have a winner if they would aggressably improve thier marketing. The air cooled bikes are soon to be forever gone, after 9 yrs with the v rod hopefully the factory will move further with this platform, the 2 coolest engines they have ever made IMO are the XR750 and the V Rod with of course the V getting the nod as far as technology.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts