Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the Trip to HELL and Back!5500 miles in 5 days!The New Bikes Broke!My panel on the front of my trailer tried Blowing off in a snow storm!My truck has 4 PUDDLES OF OIL under neath it a the back looks like it's been leaking for a FEW HUNDRED MILES! :hiding: I had never driven in a WHITE OUT,ICE STORM and witness MULTIPLY FATALITIES! :yak: It was the most TERRIFYING Experience of my Life and do Not now How I made it through what I just went through!I sleep a total of 8 hr in that whole time!To Say I'm a LITTLE Beat Up and Worn Out is an Understatement! ;) A BIG BIG THANKS to Sam Terranova and Norris Bruce"HAPPY B-DAY!" for FEEDING ME and Consoling Me as WE Stripped the bike Pulled the Motor Split the cases and took out the DAMAGED TRANSMISSION! :hitfan: It was not a Pretty Site!I will have and Know More Later!It's great to be HOME we you ALL! :kaz:

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Bummer Kaz, sorry to hear about the bike and truck..... at least you made it back safe. Everything else is repairable.

I think you may have found the weak link in your vrod HP build. Sounds like the old Dodge Hemi's....absolute monster motors but the damn trannies where always the weak link. Same prob that I had with my monster Dodge V10 4x4 truck....beefed motor up in that and blew transmission from to much torque.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LENELSA said:
There's no place like home huh Kaz ?????
AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH!You Mid Westerners I really Feel Bad for the SHIT WEATHER YOU HAVE!Growing up in Vegas doesn't Prepare you for what I had to Drive Through!It rained the whole way there and Dan and I only stopped for getting gas a to pee!Got there is 26-28 hrs?I can't remember? :confused:Dan Put a Killer New Tune Up on the Race Tuner and Took her for a Test ride.Next morning he changed a Few things and it was really running good.I was gone take for a Ride ,but Dan Tested it first.He came back and it was Making a HORRIBLE NOISE! He thought it was just the Clutch but I new something else was wrong.I could have stayed and waited a couple of days for Him to take it apart.I decided to head to Sam's Shop on the way back instead and have him put in a new clutch or find out what was at least wrong!Well it was not pretty!Dan will take care of it I'm sure,I'm just Bummed it won't be in Time for Laughlin and to really get some Cool exposer for the Bike and the V-rod forum!I will be doing some Performance and Cosmetic Upgrades while the bike is apart and it will come back better then ever! :kaz:

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
So Kaz they split the case but what failed? Was it the trans?

Max

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Max said:
So Kaz they split the case but what failed? Was it the trans?

Max
second gear had EVERY Tooth sheared off!"Sam's gonna send me some pics.HARLEY IF YOUR LISTENING I NEED SOME NEW GEARS AND STUFF PLEASE! :thumb: Then we found some sheared peices stuck in the Polished Crank! :eek: The Whole Motor Has to be Gone through and were gone check Compression and Leak down.Might as well do it all while it's apart! :( Gonna be Nice when it's done,but I now have TWO BROKE V-RODS! :mad:

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Kaz,

You need to do what we do for the race / poker run boats, buy a spare motor (stock / mild build) to drop in when the big boys are on the bench. That way you still get to use your expensive toys when the :hitfan:

Glad to see you made it back in 1 piece. I grew up in the Midwest / North East and it's a completely different animal than anything you've seen in Vegas. I don't know how many SoCal co-workers I had to rescue on their first trip to the North East, I lost count ;)

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
Glad to hear you made it home safe.Yes this midwest weather bites.So remember what you went thru this weekend,for when it's winter here and you can feel sorry for us,here in the midwest.
Sucks about the tranny,you found a weak link.
Sam will take care of ya.

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Kaz, maybe you can get Harley to cover it under warranty.......sorry, I figured I would say it before someone else did..... I bet you are going to have to go with custom made gears (made by baker or someone that builds hvy duty bike transmissions).... you have found the major weak link in your Harley Rocket.

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
Kaz,

The best news is YOU made it bacck without getting into an accident and damaging you. The bike can be repaired.Maybe its time to contact one of the aftermarket guys, like Andrews. They make some pretty beefy transmisson components. The guys at Zippers might be worth a call too. They might give you some advice, but would no doubt lead to Andrews for the resolve.

It must be hell having 2 v-rods broke at the same time. UUUGGHHHH.

The weather thing? well, thats why i left Ohio. grew up there. What a pain in the arse the weather there is. Tried Florida, still too cold. Thought Louisiana would be good, too cold and it even snowed there. Chucked it all and came to Hawaii. Now the only time ugly weather is seen is in my nightmares or we fly in to where the snow is to go skiing. Sometimes I think I want to leave HAwaii, but reading what you wrote is like getting a dose of reality.

:alien: that weather in the midwest!!

·
Registered
290 Posts
mjw930 said:
Kaz, ... buy a spare motor (stock / mild build) to drop in when the big boys are on the bench. ...
Kaz,
I found a guy through an ebay parts purchase who wrote this to me:
"...and a friend of mine has an engine for 2002 v-rod with 1800 miles and is asking $3500."
Here is one of his current auctions:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=35569&item=2472701026

Somewhere I got some indication he's in Seraucus NJ.

Be sure the seller has valid registration papers, as HE "Billy" has sold many pieces of a V-Rod, but I have not yet seen the motor or frame on ebay!!! BE CAREFUL!!!

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
jlbait said:
Glad to hear you got it & made it home! Now you know what I mean when I said "winter sucks". I'm sure it's was a trip you'll never forget!
I must say I will be Traveling the SOUTHERN ROUTE Next Time! :thumb:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts