Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So changed my oil on thursday, went for a ride friday. 10 miles from home, friend pulls up next to me, yells at me to shut it off and pull over. I do, and to my horror, 3 quarts of oil pour out of my bike. Luckily it was just that I hadn't tightened down the drain plug tight enough, no serious damage. Tow it home, head to the closest harley dealer, and they can't get me a drain plug, and say there are none in the state. Earliest will be 2-3 weeks. Anybody know if I can run down to a home depot and get one with the right threads? Grr, i just want to ride.

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Not home depot, but a good fastener shop should have a bolt that will work while you order the correct one fom Zanottis.com. Your dealer can give you the thread pitch and metric diameter. Use a fresh crush ring washer, and a dab of locktite. In 3 weeks, swap for the right one (which has a magnet to capture metal on it.) Joe

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A beer and a new pair of glasses, his were pretty oil soaked.

Called the dealer, and they said their book only gives a p/n, no measurements. Anybody know what will fit it? Supposed to be a really nice day on Thursday and was hoping to get out and play for a little while.

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Called the dealer, and they said their book only gives a p/n, no measurements.
P.S. Your dealer is an idiot, NOT you. You've just learned first hand how "helpful" they will be in the future. Pure bullshit that they couldn't pull the thread & pitch for you, but can be easily found EVERYWHERE else.

:them:

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
P.S. Your dealer is an idiot, NOT you. You've just learned first hand how "helpful" they will be in the future. Pure bullshit that they couldn't pull the thread & pitch for you, but can be easily found EVERYWHERE else.

:them:
LOL when I called the local dealer about SE 211 cams for my dresser they couldn't give me the spec's on it :)...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts