Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
"Easy Wind"
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...So, I have a friend who does CNC/CAD work for a local machine shop and after asking after cost to build a radiused, vertical side mount assembly, he tells me as of '08, Massachusetts doesn't allow this any more....has to be mounted horizontally (so as to be able to read it.....faster?) and on the rear fender. Anyone know if there's any truth to this?

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
Side-mounting is illegal in most states, but as a Magistrate (and one who has a side-mounted plate) I have never seen a ticket issued for it in 13 years on duty.

Amber reflectors are required up front and red in back too, but a lot here, including myself, have removed them. That's another one I've never seen.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
The 1200N Nightster comes with a side mounted plate from the factory, but it is mounted horizontal.

·
KC Rally Vet
3,172 Posts
It is illegal in Illinois but I have several friends who are LEO's and they say nobody will pull you over for it unless they need a reason.

·
JeffC 1/2 to 300mph!
5,733 Posts
One of those things they let slide unless you give cause to be pulled over. I make sure my license plate lights work and have never had an issue. Don't think it's legal anywhere but, sort of like the stuff people have hanging off their rear veiw mirrors in cars, it's not legal but, if they don't have a cause they don't seem to have a problem with it.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
as far as I know it's always been illegal in MA to have your plate mounted vertically. I have a vertical radius sidemount made by Alloy Art. It was a little more expensive than I wanted but the only one I could find that I liked. The part about it having to be on the fender is news to me. That will suck. I already have a hard time when trying to get it inspected with my vertical sidemount. It's only going to get tougher when it has to be on the fender.

I think you'd be fine though. I haven't had any issues and have been running my vertical one all year. I have buddies with custom choppers that I ride with and they all have vertical sidemounts as well. If you do get pulled over for something else they'll probably get you for the plate at the same time.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
I can't imagine it being illegal to be side mounted if it's horizontal. Like I said the MOCO put's it on the side of every single Sportster 1200N nightster they sell, I haven't seen anything about a different model, or that model not being available in certain states, it also comes standard with turn, stop, tail lights.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts