Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Cliff
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the "B" was do for her 5,000 mile oil change. I read the oil threads and decided to go with the Mobil 1 V-twin....thought it would be easier to find, WRONG.....no biggie had the local parts store order to have for today and they listed the filter from wix so I grabbed it as well. I never thought a whole lot about the filter being such a deal until I went to put it on and as you all know I was screwed. Well then I came in and searched the forum and once again to my amazement if I had done a little more reading I would have been in the know. Now it is the 4th and looks like the weather is going to clear up and I have a ride with no oil in it......dang it! :banghead: Lesson learned!!

·
Steve
1,402 Posts
I spoke with the wix rep about 1 month ago on this issue. He has been talking to them and and this change is in the works!!!

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
williekimp1964 said:
I spoke with the wix rep about 1 month ago on this issue. He has been talking to them and and this change is in the works!!!
The filters are made right here in Gastonia NC.....

·
The Hawk
3,785 Posts
I ran into that a year and a half ago when traveling to the mainland I thought it would be good to buy some filters and save some bucks. Went into the O'rielly parts store in Alabama and bought 4 filters. Got home and went to change the oil and was screwed. Evidently the Wix chart lists same filter for V Rods as it does for the rest of the Harleys and it is wrong, the V Rod is different. My money saving efforts cost me $25.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Order the filters with your case of Amsoil. Problem solved.

:angeldev:

·
Cliff
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LiquidSilver said:
Order the filters with your case of Amsoil. Problem solved.

:angeldev:
Yeah....yeah...yeah.....been waiting for that......will do the next time!

·
Registered
330 Posts
FirstRod said:
Well the "B" was do for her 5,000 mile oil change. I read the oil threads and decided to go with the Mobil 1 V-twin....thought it would be easier to find, WRONG.....no biggie had the local parts store order to have for today and they listed the filter from wix so I grabbed it as well. I never thought a whole lot about the filter being such a deal until I went to put it on and as you all know I was screwed. Well then I came in and searched the forum and once again to my amazement if I had done a little more reading I would have been in the know. Now it is the 4th and looks like the weather is going to clear up and I have a ride with no oil in it......dang it! :banghead: Lesson learned!!
Thank God you didn't go to the stealer, they probably would have tried to sell you a filter that actually fit. :stilpoke:

·
Cliff
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
X1 MIKE said:
Thank God you didn't go to the stealer, they probably would have tried to sell you a filter that actually fit. :stilpoke:
Well if I had the luxury of having a dealer closer than 50 miles that might have been an option. When you live in the sticks you hit the parts store first, then read the forum and then drive 50 miles to the stealer! :chair:

·
Cliff
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
o2man98 said:
Please read this thread on the WIX filters. Please be careful with selecting filters for the V-Rod. It seems that many companies were assuming the HD would stay with the same threads as the aircoolers but they have not.

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65735
Lesson learned :notworth: ......next time Ken I'll get it from you....It kind of creeped up on me and needed the stuff. Next time I'll order from you and save myself some headaches :banghead: .....

·
Ricky Love MooreHead
1,440 Posts
Did MY first oil change last night. Bikes got 4100, dealer did the bike first change at 1K, But I'm doing this one. Where's the damn washer for the drain plug?????? Wasn't one on there when I removed the plug. HD says there isn't one shown in parts. Why would there not be a fibre washer used??? Plug in soooo tight had to use sixteen foot breaker bar just to get it out. Please explain...:banghead:

·
Bike snob
756 Posts
Wal-Mart carries the Mobil1...

·
Ricky Love MooreHead
1,440 Posts
X1 MIKE said:
NOT Drained old, removed filter only to find dealer sold me the wrong one. Today I go back and she said Oh! I thought you said you had a RoadKing "or something" Twitt!!!!!!!

·
Cliff
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
QuickTripp said:
Did MY first oil change last night. Bikes got 4100, dealer did the bike first change at 1K, But I'm doing this one. Where's the damn washer for the drain plug?????? Wasn't one on there when I removed the plug. HD says there isn't one shown in parts. Why would there not be a fibre washer used??? Plug in soooo tight had to use sixteen foot breaker bar just to get it out. Please explain...:banghead:

There is no washer. The same with my GMC truck. Aluminum pans that are machine finished do not require one as the two surfaces should seal without a gasket.

·
Cliff
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Big_Red said:
Wal-Mart carries the Mobil1...
I had to have the local O'reilly's order mine. Wally world didn't carry it. Next time I'll have Ken ship me some Amsoil and the filter.....my bad.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts